Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Puppy Dog

Default I think it's fleas

Well he scratches a whole lot and he has lots of red irritated bumps. i gave him a flea bath with oatmeal in it for his skin yesturday night. didn't seem to help much. any suggestion on shampoo products, and products for the carpet/bed. Buster sleeps on my bed with me usually..
Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Puppy Dog

ok, so the irritated bumps are only on his crotch/belly/chest. so i think it's an allergic reaction to something. I remembered i used a diff cleaner to clean his crate the other day. So i irrigated the plastic bottom of his cage. and i am going to look into shampoo's for irritated skin. keep irrigating his cage and giving him these washes. Can one put human skin cream on dogs? Like Diaper rash stuff? A&D. I plan on getting him a big plastic thing for his head so he can't bite at his rump till these heal. Don't need them getting badldy infected.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

First you have to find out if it is fleas , then go from there .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Puppy Dog

well i looked through his skin i did not see any flea dirt, or fleas. I gave him a flea bath the other day now and he's on front line.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Puppy Dog

welp.. i found a flea on him right above his tail. Can anyone suggest things for the carpet/bed and a shampoo for him?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

This is what I use: http://www.lambertkay.com/products/p...spx?Prod_ID=14

I use the oatmeal shampoo and conditioner on my dog at least once a month but I usually wash him twice a month with it and he has been doing good with it. He gets an itchy back and he gets itchy by his tail and it drives him crazy so after I soap him up I let him sit with the shampoo on for ten minutes then I let him sit with the conditioner for ten minutes and it really helps him.

There is probably better stuff out there but this seems to work good for my dog. I have used more expensive shampoo that I did not think worked as well. I buy it at Petsmart but I have found it sold out so often that I gave up and I usually just buy it online somewhere.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

Have you tried K9 Advanantix

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Have you tried K9 Advanantix
no, will this get rid of them off him? I just bombed my room today (he spends most of his time in there with me when we're not on walks) and i gave him a bath in some walmart flea bath/oatmeal stuff. And i just now found another one on him. will simple washing my cloths/bed sheets get rid of them off that? should i bomb the room again tomorrow since i found another one on him? he's not scratching uncontrollably any longer..
Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Top Dog

You have to watch out with some of the standard flea bombs and shampoos, they can be extremely toxic.

Just keep using the Frontline and that should help a lot. Try spreading boric acid or diatomaceous earth on your carpet, leaving for a couple of days and then vacuuming it up. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all...a-control.html

http://www.hartzvictims.org
Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Frontline, Advantage, or Advantix (as long as you don't have a cat) will do well for him.

The Wal-Mart/Hartz stuff is worthless pretty much. You're just making the fleas smell good.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown