Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

I believe the only vaccine required to cross the border into Canada is rabies, which I do keep current to comply with my state's laws.

I titer for the recommended vaccines, and that is accepted at both dog schools I use, and by the person I board with (home boarding, not kennels). I do not vaccinate for the same things Aussie listed - Lyme, bordetella, etc. They are quite treatable with antibiotics. Animals have an immune system for a reason! I worry about the long term affects (in humans as well) of vaccinating for every conceivable disease. We need to let our bodies do the job they are designed for.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM
*Biter*

TM, the Bordetella (IMO) is practically useless. I don't give it any more. The only dogs I've ever had that have developed kennel cough were the dogs I had vaccinated against it. Go figure.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
I need a signature re-vamp. Anyone up for the task?

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 09-22-2007, 01:10 PM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by irotas View Post
What references did you find most useful when you were researching this topic?
Vet experience, my own vets, Dr. Jean Dodds (Google her, or heck call her, I can give you her phone number), books, vet journals, and personal experience.

I have many links as well that I've posted before if you want to spend several hours reading up on the topic.

I also have an online great dane community. Most of my members feel the way I feel about vaccines because the dane, as a breed, is very succeptible to adverse vaccine reactions....We have shared titer results and conversations with our vets... Titer results are proof in the pudding.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Harumph™©®

Irotas my own vet confirmed that not all these yearly shots are necessary. He happily recommended a three year schedule. I respect and admire him for that. Perhaps if a particular illness becomes rampant in my area next year, we might adjust. But we will titer. We had a nice discussion about this. So ask your vet. I can't imagine a reputable vet not being willing to have this discussion. If you never ask, I am sure there are vets out there who would be more than happy to continue giving yearly shots. After all, they have a business to support too.

Here is a google on the subject and I tell you that you can spend days reading about it. This book is not new news. But if enough people read it, maybe they will understand what overvaccinating does and doesn't do.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
Old 09-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfacedanes View Post
TM, the Bordetella (IMO) is practically useless. I don't give it any more. The only dogs I've ever had that have developed kennel cough were the dogs I had vaccinated against it. Go figure.
That is so interesting, because my friend's dog got it this year and was vaccinated against it. At my trainer's facility during one set of Tosca's classes, a dog didn't show up and the trainer was a bit upset because it turned out that the dog had it. This dog was also vaccinated as we all were. It was a requirement before class, with proof.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:23 PM
*Biter*

Here is one site I really recommend to anyone interested. You can literally spend days reading on this one site about adverse reactions and over vaccinating information, articles, etc...

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/vaccines.html

Here is another great article put out by Dr. Dodds:

http://www.petempawrium.com/Links/Ra...0Reactions.htm

Old 09-22-2007, 01:41 PM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by irotas View Post
If I may ask, why do you in particular trust Dr. Dodd's recommendation? I'm not saying there's any problem with that, just that I've never heard of her.

Thanks!
She pioneered for years to have the vaccination protocol for dogs changed....She led the way to finally convince all 27 vet schools in the US to change their vaccine schedules.

Here is a little Bio on Dr Dodds. She's no run of the mill person, that's for sure.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-RESUME.HTM

Seriously, if this is a topic that interests you, CALL HER. She is a very kind person who is geniunely concerned with the health of our animals. She will talk with you as if you had known her for years. You will come away from it thinking "WHOA, why didn't I realize this years ago?"

Old 09-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Harumph™©®

I see by that link that she is also warning about VAS in cats. Good good good woman!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

What shots SHOULD a dog have? Mine went in for puppy shots and also for shots before he got fixed. The vet has never recommended any more shots to me so I figured he is okay. He is NEVER boarded and does not go around strange dogs except when he goes to the vet every three months for his thyroid test.

I have never read any pros and cons on vaccinations but I always have this feeling that I just don't want to give him ANYTHING that he does not absolutely need. He is four now. Is there anything that any you feel he should get? He has not had rabies since he was about one BUT he is NEVER outside alone.

I know something freaky could happen like a rabid squirrel could come in the yard and attack him with me there (I started thinking about this after I saw the scary rabid skunk video ) but I'm still not sure he should go get a rabies shot.

We do have squirrels that come eat food out of our bird feeder. What are your thoughts on this? Is he okay not getting anymore shots?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 PM
overdogged

rabies is mandated by law either every year or every three depending on where you live (assuming you're in the US). if he were ever to bite somebody, if he is not up to date on his rabies vaccine, you could end up in a lot of trouble, and it's possible that he would be required to be euthanized to be tested for rabies.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?