Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Top Dog

I had a pug that for some reason had trouble draining his anal glands. My vet told me that those little anal glands located on the inside drain with bowel movements. I always knew when my pug's anal glands were not draining because he'd start doing the butt scoot across the floor.

I used to take him to the vet and have them express the glands because I didn't want to stick my finger up my dogs butt It wouldn't have been too bad if it only happened every few months or so.. but he would have spells where it would have to be done weekly. My vet told me it was silly to keep coming back for that and he showed me how to do it.

It was soooooo gross. But it provided instant relief for my dog. Eventually I hardly ever had to express them. It was always a two man job for us... imagine a dog just laying still while you violate their anus... NOT. I would lay a towel over my legs and lay my dog across my legs and had someone press his body downward across my lap and hold him steady while I did the deed.

One time it was my daughter who was only around 10 years old at that time who was holding him for me. I guess his anal glands were particularly full this one time because I squeezed them and that nasty foul liquid shot out and hit her in the chin. The smell about killed us both. She started to cry and said she was never going to help again. I can't say I blame her... a few inches upward and it would have landed in her mouth

I don't think I have ever smelled anything as bad as the stuff you express out of an anal gland. It's so bad it makes your eyes water and makes you gag. Ewwww the thought of it brings back such horrific moments of anal expressions... ewwwww!

Facebook link to Nancys creations:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nan...28615003818171
Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Here to learn

My vet showed me how to do it from the outside... I have to do it about every 2 weeks on Milo. After the switch to raw, we do it a little less.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

I had one Golden that seemed to need it more than the others . Did it when bathing . Stinks like mad !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Smaller dogs tend to have more anal gland issues than larger dogs. When my dogs do this, I usually just take them for a walk and when they poop, that expresses the anal glands. Also, another sign that their anal glands are full is you can smell them. It has a like a rusty-penny, fish smell. Yummy.

It's rather easy to express a dog's anal glands. And it does not involve putting your fingers in their butt. Do a search and you'll find plenty of websites which show you how to do it.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

They can be expressed internally and externally. Generally other than a vet.. Most people do it externally. I did Smudge's a few weeks ago. Was horrifying, his kibble switch gave him the runs and he was scooting and licking. It spurted mildly. Hope I never have to do it again. Lord.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground