Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Need help quick please....

My Mom just called and the puppy that she adopted from me just swallowed one of her earplugs that she sleeps with at nights....She said it was the foam kind. She said she saw him with it, but before she could get it out of his mouth he had swallowed it.

I told her to call the vet right now and ask them what to do. I told her I had heard that you can give a dog (not sure about a pup) a small amount of peroxide which would make him throw it back up.....told her to ask the vet about that though as I wasn't sure if that's a good idea....

Any suggestions on how to make him bring that back up? He swallowed it about 10 minutes ago (around 4:45 est).
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Rebel With Cause

I would worry about the throwing it back up part. Doubt it will happen but it could get stuck and block the airway.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Here to learn

The JRT I fostered ate a pair of foam earplugs without me knowing it. He pooped them out, and that's when I found them. They were, like, not even dented.

He wasn't a puppy though. Interested to see what the vet says.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I run with scissors

Yes, you can give peroxide to make him vomit, but I don't know that it's necessary. Earplugs are pretty small so he may just pass it with no problem. I would wait to see what the vet recommends before trying anything.

My vet had me give Charlie 2 tablespoons of peroxide when he ate a bottle of Advil. It worked like a charm. He was probably about 6 months old at the time and weighed about 40-50 maybe. I don't know the recommended dosage for a smaller dog/pup.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Aussie, I haven't thought about that......

She's calling the vet though, just wanted to see what suggestions ya'll would have.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmo View Post
The JRT I fostered ate a pair of foam earplugs without me knowing it. He pooped them out, and that's when I found them. They were, like, not even dented.

He wasn't a puppy though. Interested to see what the vet says.
Yeah, I thought about them being foam, so it may be able to just squeeze through and not cause a blockage. I'd be more worried if it was the rubber kind..
Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmommy View Post
Yes, you can give peroxide to make him vomit, but I don't know that it's necessary. Earplugs are pretty small so he may just pass it with no problem. I would wait to see what the vet recommends before trying anything.

My vet had me give Charlie 2 tablespoons of peroxide when he ate a bottle of Advil. It worked like a charm. He was probably about 6 months old at the time and weighed about 40-50 maybe. I don't know the recommended dosage for a smaller dog/pup.
Well, the pup is small, around 4 pounds. I'll let you all know what the vet says....Still interested in seeing what other's suggest also...

Thanks for the quick replies...
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I run with scissors

I would NOT try giving peroxide to a guy that little.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmommy View Post
I would NOT try giving peroxide to a guy that little.
I told her not to do that unless the vet says to.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Dog Show Addict

I think puppy needs to get to the vets asap before the plug goes any futher down in the stomach.

A pup that size - an ear plug in the belly could mean extraction surgery.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles