Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Dog Show Addict

Have you tried giving her Benadryl to see if its allergies bothering her?

If not, she may have a skin infection.

If your going to a reputable vet - they WONT vaccinate if Kona needs meds.

I know our vets wont vaccinate a dog unless its perfectly healthy.

Poor little girly..
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I run with scissors

Laura how do you know she is allergic to grass? Has she had allergy testing? Everyone always points the finger at allergies when a dog is itchy but it could be several other things too, such as a bacterial infection or a skin infection or a food allergy. Until you pinpoint the problem it's going to be hard to find a solution. Believe me, I have been dealing with Charlie and his skin forever now.

If it is a grass or pollen allergy regular baths with a gentle soap, like oatmeal soap, will help just by getting the pollens off of her.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Angel Chicken

Charlie, I don't think it's the grass that in making her itchy.

However, we can go outside, and minutes before her little belly was clear, no red splotches or anything, but only after she rolls in the grass will the splotches will show up.

I'm not sure of you'd consider that a grass allergy or not though. I'm not too sure about these things, as I have never had a dog with skin prollems before.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
I run with scissors

Until you can get her to the vet I would try some Benadryl and frequent bathing. 1mg of Benadryl per pound of dog, and make sure to NOT get the kind that includes decongestant.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

She needs allergy testing.. she needs to have a skin test done to check for any type of infection. she needs to see a VET. *sigh*
Old 09-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I run with scissors

She said she made an appointment BP. Give her a break.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

This has been going on for months.. sorry, I don't see how its okay to have a dog in obvious discomfort for months and to still wait when the problem is actually acknowledged. I'm not one for letting my pets suffer. Nor should anyone else. But wait, this must be my perfect world of fuzzy bunnies, right? Hmmph.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I run with scissors

But the point is that her vet is out of town and she made an appointment for as soon as he gets back. What do you want her to do? Go to a different vet, who will not be familiar with her dog's problems and who her dog may not like?

I would not take Charlie to another vet unless it were an emergency. His vet knows him and knows his history and what things we have already tried for him and what things we haven't. Not to mention that it takes a while for Charlie to get to know someone and he would be very uncomfortable with a strange vet.

I would agree with you if this were an emergency but it isn't and there are steps she can take to relieve the discomfort in the meantime.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Angel Chicken

Yes, BP, it has been going on for awhile, but it has been controllable with a bath every week. I'm just looking for something to keep her comfortable for a little longer while my vet is away.

I can't get her to the vet right now...if I could get her in there right now, believe me I would have her ass in there.

My vet is going out of town. I'm not willing to risk Kona having a bad experience at another vet. Sorry if that seems so bad to you.

If it was so bad where she was doing nothing BUT scratching, then I'd be worried... but it is controllable with a warm bath with some mild shampoo. I'm going out this evening to get some Benedryl for her (even though I'm kinda reluctant to give her a OTC pill) to see if that'll make it better.

At least I am TRYING to help her before we can get her to the vet. Some people don't even do that.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

But the point is you want her to be well before you get to the vet? and then you want to wait until her annual, but no vet will give vacs to a dog that is sick. Jus pointing that out...

Get tea tree oil. I have several unopened bottles if you want me to send one. dilute it in a spray bottle, couple drops to the whole thing filled with water. Tea tree is VERY strong and must be used cautiously, too much can make a dog sick.

Give her a warm bath. get her soaked with the water, then spray the tea tree all over and especially her most affected area. let it sit for a few minutes. then rinse her and follow with an oatmeal and aloe shampoo. Repeat as necessary every few days or once a week, depending on how bad her condition is.