Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Who, Me?

Default Butt Slide...

Ok, why do dogs do this? Its when they slide their butt across the ground. Does it really mean anything? Osa did it last night when we got home from a walk on the hardwood floor. She did it a couple of times so we took her back outside thinking she had to poo. Well, she didn't and didn't do the slide again. She has done this a couple of time in the past.

When I see it all that I can think about is that one commercial for a carpet cleaner (I think) where the kid is watching the dog do it and is laughing and the mom walks in and screams.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
I run with scissors

It means it is probably time for a vet visit. Most likely she either has an intestinal parasite or she needs her anal glands expressed.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
coonhound crazy

It can mean a few things. Firstly, it can mean your dog just has an itch he can't reach. I forgive the occasional single scoot because sometimes my butt itches and I imagine sometimes a dog's butt itches too. But serial scooting is usually one of two things: anal glands need expressing, or worms.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Who, Me?

What exactly is anal gland expressing? She has maybe done it four times in the last month. We will watch to make sure it doesn't get more frequent. She goes into the vet next week for her demodectic mange follow up (we just finished the 6 wk Ivermectin tx).
Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Yorkie Love

Four times in a month doesnt really seem like alot... but remember this is 4 times YOU SAW... this could mean it is happening other times.

I would mention it to the vet when you are in and bring a stool sample... that way worms can be ruled out and the vet can check rather quickly for filled anal glands.

Every once in a while one of mine will do it after a grooming...which I always let go as an itch, or that the groomer got too close and irritated them... but if it is another time we head for the vet for an anal gland expression...somehow I havent worked up the courage to do that on my own!

Good Luck.

Elissa
Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
I run with scissors

Osa, see this:

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Anal_Glands

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Who, Me?

Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

You can also express them at home and save $10 or however much your vet charges. Pretty easy to do. Just reach in with index finger (with a glove and lube, of course) and there'll be two grapesized sacks. Squeeze them towards the opening (the one that your finger is in...) and voila.

Have deodorant and baby wipes on hand.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
coonhound crazy

Yeah, ick no thank you! I've had dogs for many years now and I love them but I do not love them enough to stick my finger up their butt (and anal gland juice is pretty much the foulest substance known to man). I pay someone else to love them that way for me!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Show Dog

Sometimes it might just be a dangler that's driving the dog nuts. Darby did a butt slide awhile back and left this trail:

Sure enough, we needed to get the scissors out for some maintenance.