Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Stories

Old 06-11-2005, 07:05 AM
BusterLove

but seimens, it does make me wonder why you hit a dog with a stick, none of my sibling or i have ever done anything like that. but then again, we were goody two shoes. but still,

Old 06-11-2005, 01:08 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

mrose..my mother and i have had this discussion more then once..she thinks Hyia is too ruff and that there is something not right in her "character" because she doesn't know better without being monitored all the time. She says that i was never like that as a child..and i wasn't, but that doens't mean a thing. It is actually a fact that most children under the age of 5 (i personally think 7 or 8) do not have empathy towards creatures..they see them as toys and do not realize that the animal has the same feelings emotionally and physically that we do. EVen when told it doesn't exactly sink in the first time..compassion and empathy are the parent's responsibility to be taught to children..and that means keeping an eye on them the whole time. Aaron wasn't exactly the gentlest child in the world..and now he is so tender with all creatures. For some of us it came naturally but that makes us no better or worse then those that learned to be gentle by example and reprimand.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

When I was five, I was visiting my great aunt and uncle, my cousin was out on their front porch harassing their dog, not sure what he was a mix of something, he was just an old mutt. So anyhow, my cousin was messing with him and I knelt down and put my arm around his shoulders, he growled, and before I could move away, he latched onto my face and punctured my cheek and lower jaw. As soon as he bit me, he let go and ran off, I ran into the house screaming, my aunt took me to the hospital, 27 stitches later, I went home. My Uncle Jack wanted to put Amos(the doggy) down, but I refused and so did my father. Even though I was 5, and 23 now, I still remember that day crystal clear. I definetly learned my lesson about putting your face down near a dog who is quite agitated and growling. Will never do that again!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:11 PM
no touchy

I do believe that young children should be supervised around animals. My nephew, Gabe, is two, and his parents have nine large dogs. They teach him to respect animals (such as petting them gently), and they teach the animals to respect him as well and realize that he is above them.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Nine! I bet he has to duck those tails right and left...he's be relieved when he gets a bit taller...Aaron use to see our lab coming and make a run for his highchair ("house") it is so hard to be two.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-11-2005, 02:47 PM
no touchy

Yup, nine, all larger than him. They're animal nuts, they rescue a bunch of animals all the time. They're pointer, Cyrus was terrified of babies before Gabe was born. Gabe and he are good friends now. At two-years-old, Gabe even has his own dog, Dingo...animal nuts.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:48 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Nine! I bet he has to duck those tails right and left...he's be relieved when he gets a bit taller...Aaron use to see our lab coming and make a run for his highchair ("house") it is so hard to be two.
He's gotten good at maneuvering around animals, and getting them to behave. When he was here, he walked nicely with my three wandering around by him. When they started barking, he'd rush over and point his finger, saying, "NO! BAD DOG!"
Just sleeping.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Also not fair is that small breed owners are more irresponible with their dogs than large breed owners.
Eh-hem....I am an owner of a Doberman, had a Lab who died a few months ago, have also had GSDs and mixed breed larger dogs. And I am the owner of two Chihuahuas. So, where do you suppose I fit into this scheme of irresposible vs. responsible?

BTW, as a side note....my Chihuahuas are outgoing, friendly, like everyone they meet, never ever have shown any aggression what so ever to anyone. They're confident and excellent hikers. They're my "mountain" dogs here in north Idaho. LOL.

My Doberman is also extremely gentlemanly around strangers and while not outgoing in the first 10-15 minutes or so of meeting someone, (has to size them up first) he soon becomes a wiggling, wagging, playful, kissy pest. He also has never been aggressive to anyone, except for when someone came into the house in the middle of the night, uninvited. He still didn't lunge or bite, but threatened.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Top Dog

A few years ago, I stopped to help a dog who was caught on top of a fence she tried to jump over. The fence was up in her "groin" area and she was hopelessly stuck. Her head and most of her body was over the other side and I figured I could just hoist up her leg and toss her over the rest of the way. Well, much to my suprise, she was able to use her abs and get back and on top of the fence and she tore into my face. I knew better than to help an injured or trapped animal, but my reflexes made me do it. Grrrrr. Anyhow, I got hold of her collar and tried to rip her from my face, whereby she got a big hunk out of my chin, many puncture wounds and bites on my throat and neck. Then I got her down on the ground...off of the fence and she got my wrists and forearms and hands...puncture wounds. She then ran off and I stumbled back to my car. I had trouble shifting the gears as I had to hold a newspaper on my chin, it was bleeding so much. I got to my friend's and she took me to the hospital where I had a plastic surgeon put me back together. The puncture wounds hurt like the dickens....so deep they were. Some needed stiches and my chin was a mess. It still has a smallish scar, but it is definitely noticeable. The car looked like there had been an axe murder, there was sooooo much blood.

Anyhow, the animal control officer who had her quaranteened went to check on her and came to visit me. He said that the dog tried to attack him as well, so he didn't think it was all on account of my helping the trapped animal. I did tell her I was coming when I approached the fence. This was some kind of Lab/terrier mix I think...not very big at all, maybe the size of a Beagle....a little bigger. So, it doesn't take a big dog to do some damage.

Then I was selling newspapers door to door at night. I approached someone's door and they had lots of shubbery around the front. I heard some big growly barks and I thought, "Oh great...here we go again." This big, huge, black Rottweiler came busting out of the bushes. I said in a squeaky, friendly voice, "hellllllooooo doggie." That dog came closer and I could see it's little stubby tail going full throttle. Then she came up and started licking my hands. Whew....I was relieved, to say the least. I met a few more Rotties later on while selling newspapers and they were all sweeties.

This was all before I had my Doberman and I still had a little bit of that feeling about certain breeds. I still do. I am watchful of some more than others. They were bred for a certain thing and that's all there is to it. If I see a Doberman coming toward me, I watch it's body language more carefully than I do if I see a Lab coming toward me even though I know it depends on all kinds of things. They were still an aggressive dog, more so in their beginnings and they have an extremely strong drive to protect. (all general, of course) And if they're not handled properly, they can darn well cause extreme damage, much worse than what I sustained from that smaller dog, which was bad enough. And there are lots of people who do not handle their protection dogs properly. And they can be a loaded gun if they're mistreated, mistrained or untrained.

But it really didn't make me afraid of dogs, just a tad more cautious than I use to be.

(sorry this is so dang long)
Old 06-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

Wow, that would definitely make you think twice about going up to strange dogs.

My Neighbor's then 5 year old grandson used to visit all the time and toment their very nice Lab/collie mix, Schirocco. He would hit her, pinch her, grab her unexpectedly. His parents and grandparents tried and tried to get him to stop it, but he just seemed to "get it". She took it and took it and took it, until one day she growled at him and he hit her again. She nailed him right below his right eye and he had to have stitches, and still has a scar there, but it's not bad. He never touched her roughly again, and was very gentle to my dog. He got instant respect after she bit him.

He's pushing 20 now and has a dog of his own in his house he rents where he's going to college.