Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Stories

Old 06-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Big Dog

I don't know if these count as attacks, but I dodge bites daily because I work as a veterinary assistant. I've never been seriously bitten, on my first day I was taught all the 'right' ways to restrain an animal and to avoid being hurt.

It's interesting, the highest bite rates are from chihuahuas and daschunds, we have no Rotties and only a couple of pit bull clients that require muzzles on a regular basis.

The one incident I would count as an attack would be when a husky lunged out of a cage at me, I was taking him out for a walk and he acted fine, then when I put him back in the cage, as I was bending down to latch it he launched himself at the door, just out of reflexes I jumped back and braced my feet against the door, and he actually knocked a tooth out biting the rubber on my shoes through the bars.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i don't know if you have experienced this before but some dogs take direct eye contact as a direct threat..i had one where i reached down to pick up the food pan..the dog was standing on top of the dog house, as i rose up my eyes were level with his and only because i yanked my head back did those teeth miss me..your launch story made me remember that. just something to watch out for if you work with animals on a regular basis..i only met one other, but i was always careful to avert my eyes until my head was clear of any animal after that. (i worked with two marmoset monkeys and oh how darn hard it was not to have eye contact..you wanted to look at their tiny faces so bad!)

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Show Dog

[QUOTE=GSDFan05]

It's interesting, the highest bite rates are from chihuahuas and daschunds, we have no Rotties and only a couple of pit bull clients that require muzzles on a regular basis.

QUOTE]

This is the truth large breed owners love to hear. Small dogs are more aggressive than large breeds yet because no one takes them seriously they get away with much more than large breed dogs. If my dog snapped at somone I would have a lawsuit on my hands, but if a small dog nips at somone its a silly joke....not fair.

Also not fair is that small breed owners are more irresponible with their dogs than large breed owners. They let them loose and allow them to approach large breed dogs, then get upset when the large breed dog shows signs of aggression or responds to the barking, yapping, or hyperactive small breed dog.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
i do not believe any child of that age should be left unattended with ANY animal for the animal's safety as well. I don't know why at 5 you didn't know not to hit an animal with a stick, but 5 is capable of doing a number of painful things to a dog without realizing that the animal will retaliate. THat is why especially with a new dog an adult should always be present and abusive behavoir not tolerated. It was two 7 yr old boys that killed my first labrador puppy..he was 6 weeks old and they squeezed him to hard breaking his ribs into his lung. He died on the way to the er vet..i was out in the field working and my boss and the man's father let the two monsters in with the babies. I am sorry you were attacked seimen, that must have been terrible and marking for you at that age. Obviously you have gotten over any fear of dogs..i hope you parents helped you thru that, or that you were able to accomplish this on your own. There was a boy on the tv that had his face replaced after a dog attack. He tried to give the dog his piece of pizza, realized he had put it to far away for the animal on the chain and reached for it to move it closer. He was three. Adults have to realize that children and animals must be monitored at all times..as Seimen has pointed out..they had the dog for 5 years. Was this the first time it showed aggression? For an animal that had been in the family that long that is very strange and traggic for all. What kind of dog was it? Was it a house dog or yard dog?
Certainly it was not right for me to hit a dog with a stick, but I was a troublemaker. And yes, somone should have supervised me. However, these things happen.

The dog was a yard dog, and he was a large german shepherd husky mix. I was sad that he was sent away. And I never had issues with dogs after that. Now i have two large dogs.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

My brother hit penny (he was 4 i think) across the nose with a stick before i was born..but i heard the story more than once out of mom..my friend Kelly's daughter beamed my pointer Bin once too..he had been so nice to her too..letting her put her hand on his back while he gave her the tour of the whole back yard. I was watching from the window thinking what a good dog bin was being when she bent down picked up a stick and before i could clear the patio door she clubbed him one..she was little but i don't remember exactly what her age was. We had so many customers come to buy their kids a labrador puppy because they had been attacked and wanted their kids to grow up unafraid of dogs. One little boy had to be life lifted to children's mercy..the dog bit out his tummy when he was three..what was worse is the man next door had lifted the child out of his own yard and placed him in his yard so the dog and child could play. People just don't realize the dangers. My grandaughter is 5 and she spent time out two days ago for pulling Mary's tail....Mom heard her giggling hysterically (always a good reason to check) and busted her in the act..Mary i would trust no matter what but would not any other dog..not even Victor. Just teasing Seimen..but it doesn't suprise me u were a trouble maker

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

i haven't but my sister-in-law lost half her upper lip by a german shepherd. she pet him and he just jumped and bit her in the face.that's got to be scary. she owns a dog now though. so it didn't impact her love for dogs
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

well i think u know family dogs can be left with kids who know how to handle them
Old 06-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Big Dog

We had a GSD/wolf mix years and years ago, he was the GREATEST dog, but he did bite one time. He was in the yard (he wasn't a yard dog! He was out there while the kitchen floor was being mopped) and a neighbor kid came by and whacked him with a stick several times, so he lunged. He put his teeth on the boy but didn't break the skin. Have I mentioned that I'd rather own a furkid over a 'skin' kid any day?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I was bitten by a schnauzer when I was young. I think I was like 7 at the time and we knew the lady that owned the schnauzer. Me and my cousins would always go to this old lady's yard to play in the tree she had and in her yard. She was a close family friend and very nice. Well she had an old Schnauzer and a Scottish terrier. Well the dogs where pretty friendly to people that they knew, but the schnauzer was old and pretty grumpy. Not aggressive, just grumpy.
Well I pretty much loved the dogs, but left the schnauzer be because it was old and it scared me
Anyways we were left in the yard unsupervised (my cousin was like 10 or 11 at the time) while the lady went into the house to get some drinks/snacks for us (she was really nice and I miss her). Well my cousin (younger girl about 5) went over to "greet" the schnauzer. Well she tugs on it's ear and when I went to get her to leave it alone it bit my arm. He was an old guy and I don't blame him one bit, but it did make me scared of schnauzer's after that. Now I am fine, but still a bit nervous around them. Well I had to go to the hospital and get stitches cause it was bleeding and thankfully the dog wasn't put down.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:03 AM
BusterLove

i dont think this counts but... i was riding my bike to school with a frined and a white chi mix chased us, it had a go at my friend(ok it ran next to her bike) and then it realised she would just keep riidng even if it jumped under her wheel, so it went after me... lol... gosh it was frightening!!!