Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-15-2007, 03:34 PM
LB2007

Default Kongs

What is the deal with Kongs? What are they really for and what purpose do they serve? I almost bought one, but said I will see if others use them and what for and how effective they are.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

TONS of people here use them. They basically keep your dog busy and out of trouble, but if you don't put stuff in them most dogs won't touch them. You can fill it with kibble, wet dog food, yogurt, peanut butter and cottage cheese. You can fill them and then freeze them to make them last longer. It's great for when dogs are home alone or in their crate.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:40 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Kongs are the greatest of inventions.

We stuff them with goodies, freeze them and give them to the dogs as treats or to calm them down, to give them something to do when crated... they even get their dinner in them sometimes, to make them really work for it.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:43 PM
LB2007

But it looks like a cone shape with a huge hole in the bottom and top, how are things like kibble or yogurt staying without coming out my dog is 3lbs waht size should I get him?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Here to learn

Even the small one will be big for a 3-pounder, but she may grow into it. There is a puppy version that is blue/white. You can put something in the small end of the cone to plug the hole -- a liver treat or a piece of apple. Then you can fill it with whatever you like. The squishier and smellier, the better.

The only problem we have is that if Milo gets a treat that he is REALLY excited about, he waits until I am home before he eats it. So, I do a lot of Kong stuffing to try and help him occupy him when I'm gone that goes sort of, well, by the wayside. He waits til I am home unless I give lower-priority treats.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
how are things like kibble or yogurt staying without coming out
It's supposed to come out, but slowly. If it didn't come out they would not be interested in it and if it came out too fast they would be done with it too fast and it would not be very useful to keep them busy. Freezing it keeps them busy even longer and it reduces the mess...sometimes. If mess bother you then stick with kibble.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-15-2007, 04:04 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I seal mine with medallions from nature's variety or freeze them with yogurt or peanut butter sealing them. They range in sizes and have size recommendations for size of dogs.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
LB2007

They really do get attached dont they. I will have to get one that will suit his muzzle. I saw the blue and I also saw one for yokies that is reddish. but on the bigger side of the hole dont they get all the goodies out quickly?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 PM
LB2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
I seal mine with medallions from nature's variety or freeze them with yogurt or peanut butter sealing them. They range in sizes and have size recommendations for size of dogs.

All the peanut butter here has salt in it, is this still good for him? I didnt know they can eat that now it will be a fight cuz I love my peanut butter
Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 PM
LB2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
It's supposed to come out, but slowly. If it didn't come out they would not be interested in it and if it came out too fast they would be done with it too fast and it would not be very useful to keep them busy. Freezing it keeps them busy even longer and it reduces the mess...sometimes. If mess bother you then stick with kibble.

No, if you have a dog you have to like mess as that is the nature, they leave bits and pieces behind and mine is so furry I have to constantly clean his mouth and bid fur his room is tiled so he can messy it up all he wants