Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Default isit really ok to use regular shampoo?

i know you guys have said in before forums that you can use regular shampoo on your dog, but isnt that what they test animals on, and they get like rashes, and sick and stuff...and if that only happens till their is no affects on the animals so they can sell the shampoo, it wouldnt be a good idea to get shampoo that hasnt been tested on animals right. i use that type of shampoo myself (no animal testing)but i just dont know?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
user not active

I would suggest not to use human shampoo on dogs. Different PH balances.

There are plenty of dog specific shampoo's that you can use.

I dont really know though, I've only washed my dog once in 2 years (with shampoo).
Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

yea ill use dog shampoo i wasa just curious cuz i heard some 1 on this forum say it was ok, and i dont have any dog shampoo and i wanted to give him a bath but ill wait.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Love my pets

Some people use baby shampoo which is gentle.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

LEA....some people say it is OK to use human shampoo on your dog. I DISAGREE! As it was said above, it is a fact that dogs have a different PH level to their skin. Using a human shampoo will probably not do harm, but I would not use it. There are so many FUN and good smelling choices out there for dogs...go pick one and have fun with it. Just DONT get one that is for fleas...they are too strongly medicated for my liking.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Big Dog

I work for a vet and when we give baths we just use dish soap (unless it's a medicated bath, of course), it does a good job of getting rid of mud, oils, etc, although if you use it too often it will strip too much oil from the skin and dry the coat out, but it's fine to use a couple of times a month or so.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

I know alot of people use baby shampoo. I keep telling them not to use baby shampoo. My boyfriend bathe Toki with baby shampoo one time because he ran out of dog shampoo and now I know why people bathe them with baby shampoo. It really makes their coat really soft. But im still against human shampoo for dogs.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

Interesting....I have never heard of dish soap. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years and we never recommended anything other than shampoo intended for dogs, but there were some REALLY smelly dirty dogs that came in and I can see dish soap working in those situations. What do you tell the clients if they ask what type of soap you used? Do you say "dish soap"
Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Top Dog

I know of many people who show Collies, Newf's etc who use Pantene shampoo for humans and other human shampoo's. They look great and I have never seen any secondary problems on these show dogs from using certain human shampoo brands.
My sister owns a grooming shop and she uses only good quality dog shampoo, it's cheaper in the long run as its so concentrated.
She also uses dish soap using Palmolive, glycerin and vinegar. For some dogs with major sensitivities to most shampoo's including oatmeal's they can only be shampooed with the dish soap. Just follow up with a good conditioner as you want to replace the lost oils.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
Interesting....I have never heard of dish soap. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years and we never recommended anything other than shampoo intended for dogs, but there were some REALLY smelly dirty dogs that came in and I can see dish soap working in those situations. What do you tell the clients if they ask what type of soap you used? Do you say "dish soap"
Actually, yes, lol the vet will tell people upfront that's what we use and will recommend it EXCEPT: 1) For dogs with skin problems that need medicated baths like Lytar, Malaseb, etc, 2) For people who bath frequently and need the special shampoo that won't strip off their Advantage, 3) For some people with white dogs who like them nice and snowy, Pearlyte is best for that.

But yes, for a just plain dirty dog my bosses always use dish soap. It's the only vet I've ever worked for so I don't know how other clinics do it, it surprised me when I started there, but it seems to work well.