Hot Hot Hot... how do ya keep em cool

It sure has been hot the last few days, seems we were just complaining about it being too cold! Well, I guess ya just can't win. But I do feel for my babies wearing their fur jammies all of the time. I like to drop ice cubes in Magic's water several times a day so she has a nice cold drink when she wants one. She's not a water dog so I can't hose her down like my daughter does her horses. So to my question how do you keep your dog cool on these blistering humid days?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
for puppies i use to freeze water in two liter bottles and put them where they could rest against them (works for animals in cages as well) ..the years we didn't have a/c i would keep a mister bottle full and damped their fur as well as using a cool washcloth on ears, face, tummies and feet. they should have a fan that puts a breeze near the floor as well
for outside we have a small stock tank that they can submerge their whole body in...that is Mary's favorite thing to do on a hot day..i keep it in the shade so the water stays cooler and change it every day.

becca_4321

Mine spend most of the day inside now that its getting hot. They do their big play time in the evening. When Gracie gets hot outside you can find her sitting in the pool. Just sitting there. I change the water in the pool everyday because it gets to warm and dirty (they also drink from it). So we start with a fresh pool of water daily. Princess is the tough one because she wont play in the pool.

The girls spend a lot of time inside during the day when it's most hot, they're walked early in the morning and/or later in the day. I make them step into the kiddy pool, and I splash some water on them in there too.

I mix 3/4 water and 1/4 beef broth...Freeze them in ice cube trays and Brownie gets one or two after our walks or playtime outside....She loves them!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I just got them a pool and so far no takers, but I hopefully they will go in one day. Right now it's a giant water bowl. Mine stay in the shade or come inside and lay on the cool floor.

poeluvr

i think the prob maybe that she has no air conditioning,, i suffer the same problem. well you could get your dogs hair cut so it wont be as hot, like cut cut but not shaved, also for inside for my dog when he's tired and hot i know its hard for him to sleep so i put my fan in front of him and he loves it, i dont think all dogs will though, but try it

oriondw

user not active
LEA said:
i think the prob maybe that she has no air conditioning,, i suffer the same problem. well you could get your dogs hair cut so it wont be as hot, like cut cut but not shaved, also for inside for my dog when he's tired and hot i know its hard for him to sleep so i put my fan in front of him and he loves it, i dont think all dogs will though, but try it

Dogs only sweat from their mouth's and palms of feet. Shaving a furry dog will actually make it worse for it.

The coat acts both ways, in cold it keeps the heat in, in hot it keeps the hot out.

poeluvr

ok cuz i just heard it from someone on this board that sid they shaved their dog to keep it cool so i thought i would add it,,, but i didnt really know

poeluvr

bogolove said:
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dropped him off at 7:30 a.m. this morning and I will pick him up when I get off work today. I hate doing that to him though because I could tell he was all freaked out that I was leaving him, but he really needs his hair to be clipped so he won't be so hot. I am sure he will look handsome, I am such a baby, I thought I was going to cry when I dropped him off. But they were very nice.

I have been thinking maybe I should learn how to groom, I would probably love that way more than sitting here typing all day long....
i was reading about bogoloves cute doggies day at groomin, and he said he was givin him a groom to keep him cool, i thought he meant so he wouldnt be hot but i guess he meant something else...sry:) i still stand by the fan idea though

bogolove

I got Brady a pool and I just got his hair clipped shorter too. Sometimes I throw some ice cubes in his water bowl with his water too. My neighbor Liz is home all this week too, before she starts hre new job on Monday, and she had him at her house all day today with Jenny. She said he was lying on her wood floor in her house most of the day after they played in Jenny's pool.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
is your dog food motivated? my friend kelly got hers to go in the water by dropping dog biscuts (they float) just outside the bank..it worked for her dog

kinda kookyee said:
I mix 3/4 water and 1/4 beef broth...Freeze them in ice cube trays and Brownie gets one or two after our walks or playtime outside....She loves them!
Pupsicles! :D

Ours hit their wading pool or go down into the woods and play in the creek.

siemens716

MIne stay outside in California heat, but tehy have the garage all to themselves. They cool off on the cement slab, I guess. they have plenty of H2O and sometimes get ice cubes...other than that, I just let them be.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I change my dog's water A LOT during the day to make sure it is cold and fresh. Also I put a fan in front of their kennels (where they stay during most of the day). They don't feel like being too active now that it is like 100 degrees here. We have an air conditioning (a window unit) but hubby is dragging his feet putting it in. Mack is a complete baby when it comes to water, so is Shelby, but Hannah LOVES it. Mostly they just lay in their cages in front of the fan. They get their exercise in the evening when the sun sets they run around and play and don't get as hot.

siemens716 said:
MIne stay outside in California heat, but tehy have the garage all to themselves. They cool off on the cement slab, I guess. they have plenty of H2O and sometimes get ice cubes...other than that, I just let them be.
I would think your Ridgeback would be well suited to the southern California climate. One of the reasons we chose the Filas over, say, a Tibetan, is because the summers here are hot and muggy.

Members online

No members online now.