Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Big Dog

Default Hot Hot Hot... how do ya keep em cool

It sure has been hot the last few days, seems we were just complaining about it being too cold! Well, I guess ya just can't win. But I do feel for my babies wearing their fur jammies all of the time. I like to drop ice cubes in Magic's water several times a day so she has a nice cold drink when she wants one. She's not a water dog so I can't hose her down like my daughter does her horses. So to my question how do you keep your dog cool on these blistering humid days?

Old 06-08-2005, 04:24 PM
user not active

Air Conditioning helps

And just plenty of water
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

for puppies i use to freeze water in two liter bottles and put them where they could rest against them (works for animals in cages as well) ..the years we didn't have a/c i would keep a mister bottle full and damped their fur as well as using a cool washcloth on ears, face, tummies and feet. they should have a fan that puts a breeze near the floor as well
for outside we have a small stock tank that they can submerge their whole body in...that is Mary's favorite thing to do on a hot day..i keep it in the shade so the water stays cooler and change it every day.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

Mine spend most of the day inside now that its getting hot. They do their big play time in the evening. When Gracie gets hot outside you can find her sitting in the pool. Just sitting there. I change the water in the pool everyday because it gets to warm and dirty (they also drink from it). So we start with a fresh pool of water daily. Princess is the tough one because she wont play in the pool.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
no touchy

The girls spend a lot of time inside during the day when it's most hot, they're walked early in the morning and/or later in the day. I make them step into the kiddy pool, and I splash some water on them in there too.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
~~smilz~~

I mix 3/4 water and 1/4 beef broth...Freeze them in ice cube trays and Brownie gets one or two after our walks or playtime outside....She loves them!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Love my pets

I just got them a pool and so far no takers, but I hopefully they will go in one day. Right now it's a giant water bowl. Mine stay in the shade or come inside and lay on the cool floor.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

i think the prob maybe that she has no air conditioning,, i suffer the same problem. well you could get your dogs hair cut so it wont be as hot, like cut cut but not shaved, also for inside for my dog when he's tired and hot i know its hard for him to sleep so i put my fan in front of him and he loves it, i dont think all dogs will though, but try it
Old 06-08-2005, 05:16 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA
i think the prob maybe that she has no air conditioning,, i suffer the same problem. well you could get your dogs hair cut so it wont be as hot, like cut cut but not shaved, also for inside for my dog when he's tired and hot i know its hard for him to sleep so i put my fan in front of him and he loves it, i dont think all dogs will though, but try it

Dogs only sweat from their mouth's and palms of feet. Shaving a furry dog will actually make it worse for it.

The coat acts both ways, in cold it keeps the heat in, in hot it keeps the hot out.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

ok cuz i just heard it from someone on this board that sid they shaved their dog to keep it cool so i thought i would add it,,, but i didnt really know