Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 PM
PWC FTW!

Default Tick in ears. Please Help

I found a tick in each of my dog's ears and when I try to get to her ear she fusses about it. I'm currently trying to use tweezers but as the dog's ears surface are not flat, its a bit difficult to grab.

Are there any other approved methods of getting the tick out? Please help me and my dog out.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 PM
overdogged

i think tweezers are probably your best bet, but i imagine it is very hard to grab. good luck!
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
PWC FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i think tweezers are probably your best bet, but i imagine it is very hard to grab. good luck!
yeah they arent just tick tweezers either, theyre for eyebrows and what now.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM
PWC FTW!

should i just leave them and bring her to the vet tomorrow?

i keep trying and whenever i get near the surface of the ear she starts fussing.

its too hard for one person to hold her down and then straighten the ear out to take out the tick.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Puppy Dog

I know exactly what you're going through, my dog had quite a few ticks on her the last few days, I had to have help to get them all off of her.

I did find this link during my troubles, maybe it'll help you...I didn't have the guts to test this theory of getting ticks off and went ahead with tweezers, but it might save you a trip to the vet if it works for you and your dog.
http://www.instructables.com/id/ELEIMN3JLBEXCFJ631/

Hope it helps. Maybe check your local pet store for tick removal sprays or such? I know they have things that are supposed to kill ticks on contact...maybe you should just look into it.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
PWC FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanas_K View Post
I know exactly what you're going through, my dog had quite a few ticks on her the last few days, I had to have help to get them all off of her.

I did find this link during my troubles, maybe it'll help you...I didn't have the guts to test this theory of getting ticks off and went ahead with tweezers, but it might save you a trip to the vet if it works for you and your dog.
http://www.instructables.com/id/ELEIMN3JLBEXCFJ631/

Hope it helps. Maybe check your local pet store for tick removal sprays or such? I know they have things that are supposed to kill ticks on contact...maybe you should just look into it.
Id much rather not touch that nasty critter by rubbing it. lol

I had my mom and dad take it out. They found 3 while I was at work.

I stopped by the vets office this afternoon and they told me that Frontline Plus would work great and prevent it on her for a good month. So I did buy a 6 month application + 1 free. I used Advantage before which did not have a tick preventative in it.

But anyways, the vet had also told me that I will need to have an exterminator on site to actually get rid of them as a problem. Does anybody know how much these generally will cost? I'm getting poor
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I run with scissors

An exterminator to get rid of ticks? Unless they are literally crawling all over you I think that's a bit extreme (well, ridiculous to be honest). Frontline Plus should be all you need.

By the way, just FYI - You're right that Advantage does not repel ticks, but Advantix does.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
PWC FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmommy View Post
An exterminator to get rid of ticks? Unless they are literally crawling all over you I think that's a bit extreme (well, ridiculous to be honest). Frontline Plus should be all you need.

By the way, just FYI - You're right that Advantage does not repel ticks, but Advantix does.
Nope. They surely are not crawling over me at all.

But I have found 2 in her paws last week. This week its 3 in her ears. I'm guessing its because when I let her out to go eliminate, she rolls around in the grass and goes by the fence where its shady and where the garden is at.

The front desk girls at the vets told me those ticks I found will have eventually laid eggs and I'll need to do an interior and exterior pest control of the ticks.

I think I'll follow your advice though since it does a bit extreme to call for pest control if only 5 were found.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I run with scissors

I found a bunch of ticks on Charlie a month or so ago. He is so furry that they're hard to find so when I saw one great big one I checked him over really well and found like 5. I put some Advantix on him and haven't seen one since. A lot probably depends on where you live too, but I just can't imagine needing an exterminator!

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

When we got Baby, she had a tic on her eyebrow n ext to her eye, and it was really hard to get it off.