Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
CASSA

It has caused issues in my breed when done before 2 years of age give or take. Also changes the whole outlook for males they looks lik bitches.

Females I would not do until just under a year.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet molosser View Post
It has caused issues in my breed when done before 2 years of age give or take. Also changes the whole outlook for males they looks lik bitches.

Females I would not do until just under a year.
Well that's what I was told that the male goldens will not get the blocky heads or fill out as much. They will be more skinny and leggy and have more of a female appearance to them. Which I don't mind it one bit but I just wondered why my vet never brought up that fact or anything like that. I called today and they say "well we suggest neutering when both the testicles are present around 6-7 months. If you wait until they are 1 than they will start marking in the house and doing other bad things lots of the time." Which I'm wondering if the receptionist even knows what she is talking about really she didn't really seem to understand what I was asking and I couldn't talk to my vet either.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 PM
*Biter*

From my prior vet's perspective, they want you to neuter early because it's easier on them (the vet). Smaller dogs, less fat, easier to manuever.

None of my males have ever marked indoors, even with foster dogs coming in and out constantly.

As for "other bad things" well, that boils down to training, not whacking off body parts.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against spaying and neutering, I just have something against it being done too early.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
It just flusters me when people act like you are an idiot for not neutering your dog. This does happen quite often.
You sure you haven't met my extended family? We had a get together I was forced to attend a few weeks ago, I took Smudge. They freaked at like 19 weeks he was intact.. Riiiiiiight.

Then they freaked harder I have no plans as of now to fix him.. I want to show him. Last time I checked you need balls to do that.. Freaked that I should have his 6 month appointment for neuter at the latest right this moment.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
You sure you haven't met my extended family? We had a get together I was forced to attend a few weeks ago, I took Smudge. They freaked at like 19 weeks he was intact.. Riiiiiiight.

Then they freaked harder I have no plans as of now to fix him.. I want to show him. Last time I checked you need balls to do that.. Freaked that I should have his 6 month appointment for neuter at the latest right this moment.
Then they don't need to meet my dog- he's 3 and still intact lol. Unfortunately we've got the opposite problem in our family. We're the only ones with fixed dogs and they jsut don't care. grumblegrumble....

Anyways, Julie, from my experience (which isn't too much- I'm by no means an expert) but based on the male dogs we've had I've not seen much of a difference behaviorally that I can attest to not neutering. Like I said, Trey's special but that's nothing to do with the fact he's fixed. The other males have all been fine with no marking whatsoever. Beau marked a couple times as a puppy but we have no problems now. Maybe they are more prone to marking? I don't know. I've never had one that did.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Twin 2.0

I don't see much of an issue with a 6 month neuter; my issue is with the 6-8 week neuters. I'm fully convinced that my friend's dog is having all the health issues that he's having because he was neutered at 7 weeks old.

As for myself, I will probably wait a little longer to neuter my dogs from now on, just because I do want as much growth out of them as possible, both for looks and sound structure.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I don't see much of an issue with a 6 month neuter; my issue is with the 6-8 week neuters. I'm fully convinced that my friend's dog is having all the health issues that he's having because he was neutered at 7 weeks old.
They do that with dogs too? I know they do it with feral cats. We have this mobile program where they pick them up and a vet at my clinic oversees cornell students and they give them rabies shots and spay/neuter. I guess that is ok considering it does control the population and rabies potential, but I have seen them try it a lot with pet cats in the past few years. With cats, I usually do it at five months.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah. So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
The shelters are so empty. I think we just have to work harder to convince every Tom Dick and Harry who is not an above and beyond pet owner like many on this board to not neuter their pets. That ought to fix the empty shelter problem.
This is a common concept, but it's really not logical. (It would be logical if the 'unwanted dogs' were puppies and kittens straight from the litter, and that does happen in certain areas of the country, mostly rural.)
In most of the US, lack of spay/neuter is not responsible for high shelter numbers/euthanasias. In most areas, 70-80% of dogs turned in to shelters have already been spayed/neutered. Retention is the problem, not overpopulation. (Granted, there are some areas where large numbers of puppies 'unwanted dogs' are older puppies or adults who were wanted when they were born, and whose owners for whatever reason later decided they no longer could/would keep them, but for the most part spay/neuter is not really the reason we have such high shelter #'s
I know I went a little OT but for more on this topic, here's a good website to visit...
www.pet-law.com and this article...
http://www.pet-law.com/euth1_intro.html
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Harumph™©®

Wow you coulda fooled me. Where I am there is always a high incidence of shelter animals that are siblings from litters. We even have a group that takes nothing but unwanted litters in hopes that we will find fewer abandoned litters in parks-- and they are overloaded. Virtually all of these litters are mixes. And I live in a city, not a rural area. I guess we must be the exception to the rule.

Do you have a source for your percentage stats as it pertains to the country in general? I would be interested.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

I think a person should base when and if they spay/neuter their dog on their individual lifestyle. But, I feel it's very important people know the risks involved with keeping a bitch intact long term.

I worked in a vet clinic for a long time. We saw a LOT of mammary cancer in older intact bitches. It wasn't rare and these dogs died. It most likely could have been prevented had their owners had them spayed early on. We also saw dogs die and need emergency surgery from pyometra. This was very scary and very real for me. It took me a long time to get comfortable keeping intact dogs because I dealt with dogs firsthand that died from related illnesses.