Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

I hope you don't get bit when you do it next time!!
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill."

RIP Chief.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:04 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i swear it is such a guy thing to feel the need to dominate..i have heard it over and over again and it still makes me physically ill..a dog is a child, teach it with tenderness and understanding. you want to dominate something take up a sport and compete. go dominate yourself. My old boss trained some of the best dogs that walked the earth he made them want to do it because of love..because it was fun..because they trusted him. There was no bs like alpha rolls or staring or whatever.there was guidance and repitition, building up desire and trust TRUST IS NOT BUILT BY DOMINATION!!!!!!!!! Oh gack i hate this so much i am just gonna go.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Smkie, staring down a pup does nothing IMO neither does throwing it on its back, if you were assessing a pup, lay it in your arms on its back, making sure the pup knows its safe, you want a dog to actually look into your eyes not turn away, a dog that actually looks into your eyes will be an easier dog to train, but any dog in the right hands , with the right training, can be fairly sociable, one of my dogs was acording to the "test" was aggressive. dominant, probably least likey to bond with, she has turned out to be the most friendly sociable, easy to be with dog I have.and thats not just down to my handling her or training her, its down to the fact that sometimes the test are wrong IMO.

Mo
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Well, when a dog rolls on itīs back it Supposedly means that it wants no trouble, that it is accepting you as its boss, exposing its most vanuable parts as a gesture of good will.
A good thing when you want to have the respect of your dog, but a small puppy is not exactly going to tell you much is it. In a land of giants I mean.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh, didnīt read the rest, but if you have ever had a "street dog", one that has had no real owner, no real home, you have to dominate it(with love of course). Otherwise it will controll your life and be extremely aggresive towards other people/dogs.
I dont know if anyone has had anything to do with horses, but try riding a horse with love, not dominance (with love of course). Then try being bucked off that horse and kicked in the teeth. Domestic animals donīt really follow the rules of human society, something to keep in mind.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick and Lino
I dont know if anyone has had anything to do with horses, but try riding a horse with love, not dominance (with love of course). Then try being bucked off that horse and kicked in the teeth. Domestic animals donīt really follow the rules of human society, something to keep in mind.
Well, in many cases the horse is a mild schoolie who just drifts into the center of the ring and falls asleep as your instructor yells at you to KICK HIM!!!! LEG! LEG! LEG! and dances up and down in a fury. Not that I'd know anything about it. Nobody ever shouted "You're too passive!" at me and then spent 20 minutes explaining to the entire class how passive riders ruined horses and wasted everyone's time. Forget the horses, it's my riding instructor who scares me.

It's true what you say, though. Where you can get away with a lot of sentimental junk with dogs, who share human's predatory confidence, horses freak out and get dangerous really fast if you try to wuv them into compliance.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I think that test is BULL. I just took it for my lab puppy and is said she wouldn't be a good pet to have around children or the elderly, and she'd be hard to train. Well she is the EASIEST dog to train and she LOVES children and older people. She is jumpy right now because she's a puppy but that's to be expected (we're also working on that). I don't think that test is TOO accurate but maybe it's just me.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

anybody seen the pbs special where the real horse whisperer goes into a wild herd of mustangs and works his way in (with out domination but by understanding the true nature of horse's communication) and in the end rides the stallion out??????????? if you haven't i would seriously seriously suggest that you do!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,