Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 PM
But please, call me Barb

By the way, have you checked with the boarding facility if they'll accept owner given vaccinations? Many won't.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Quote:
I would never, ever use ANY Fort Dodge product.
I personally like Fort Dodge for vacx, I think alot of the problem is how they are used on a sub or handled prior to injection for the most part. For insight, Fort Dodge is the leading producer and sponsor of large animal medical students @ least in PA, MD, NJ and most Mid Atlantic Schools. Fort Dodge also sponsers interns and post-intern grads. So the chances of establishing more dislike, is to be expected by establishing foes.
Also, some breeds cannot tolerate certain drugs, IE: sighthounds and the use of barbituates as part of the anesthesia protocol is an absolute NO-NO. If this is over looked by the "established" practice or learning student, the dog can die. Lepto is a NO-NO for "snubnose" dogs. So it's more a matter of trust I think instead of marketing.
And I'd like to add, a good vet will do bloodwork to test clotting times prior to any surgery and to help determine which anesthesia drugs is best to use on an individual dog especially if they have underlying problems. Blood tells all.
There are so many issues with Fort Dodge, I know.. I read them all too, not a story yet has convinced me to change my opinion. Actually most the cases I read about I can almost pin point why it happened ... but that would be my educated guess only.
They also have the largest selection of K vacx, I don't like LV vacx, I see a problem there.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

We use Pfizer's Vanguard at the clinic.

I use whatever the feed store has at the time at home. I trust my local feed store and so far it's been good.

But some areas you have to get rabies done at the vet. Ours is one of those.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Top Dog

its not advisable to vaccinate your own dog specially if you dont know what vaccines that you are giving to your dog unless you know how to do it properly and if your vet prescribe you a brand to use.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Big Dog

My vet charges $65 for DA2PCPV. Do you think they would be insulted if I asked if I could purchase my own shot for $5 and have them administer it? The other shots are the usual rate of $22 which seems like everyone else is saying is normal. I don't want to administer the shot myself but I don't want to pay $60 extra purchasing it from them.

Where can I purchase this shot? Do I need one specifically with Parvo 2b? Should I get one with leptospirosis (I take him to the dog park weekly) and if so the one with 4 way protection or 2 way?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
<--------Orson

I HIGHLY doubt your vet WOULD let you purchase your own vaccines and then have him administer.

For one, that could put him/her on the line if there was a problem with the vaccine you purchased. And two, s/he probably gets them from his own provider for 4-5 bucks and charges you the 60 to administer............what makes you think his/her fee wouldn't be the same or more to use YOUR vaccine??

Yes, I think s/he would be insulted and rightfully so. If you want to buy and do it then do so..........but I wouldn't ask that of your vet unless you want to find a new one, LOL
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Big Dog

Yeah I guess I didn't think of it that way. However $60 markup to administer the vaccine is a bit excessive. It doesn't make sense that this one vaccine is so much more expensive than the others which they only charge 22 for. Maybe because it is a combo they are saying 22 * 3 or some crap. I will ask them and see whats up with the cost.

Also, is it hard to administer the vaccine myself? I figure if I give him the shot and the bordetella up the nose my $87 cost becomes around $10-$15. If I do it myself what about my other questions above about which to get?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM
BRTLover

We use to do our own and we used Fort Dodge {never had a problem}!

Now I have to check out the requirements for showing! We may not be able to do our own.

Here in Eastern Ontario to do your shots and yearly

$40 just to walk in the clinc {they have to check eyes, ears, heart, even it was already done a month ago at the same clinic by the same vet}
$18 for bordetella
$15 for rabies
$20-$25 for the DHPP

It is always very close to $100 per dog evey time I even think about going to the vet.
I agree yearly check ups are extremely important and not something I would skip. No amount of saved money is worth skipping that. My dogs are too important to me.
I never board my dogs. If they cannot go with me; then I cannot go!

I do my own deworming. {Strongid T four times a year, Panacur two times a year and we use Ivomac for heartworm prevention on the first of each month year round. Even in winter months we use it!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Show Dog

My dogs/cats do not get vaccinated for anything other than Rabies every 3yrs.

You also must know what you are giving. Most Vaccines you find at feed stores have Corona & Lepto which in most cases are not needed unless in the area. There is no reason to vaccinate every yr being that more than likely the vaccine will become obsolete if the immunity is already in place so just a big waste of money and your pets health. Ask about a titer have 2 titers done 6 months apart then every yr after that.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Show Dog

I would also like to add that don't have more than 1 vaccine at a time. Rabies should never be given at the same time as Parvo or distemper. Also if you don't feel its time for a vet check you can request just the shots be given and not vet check.