Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenafarm View Post
that was a rabies vaccine, though, but I've never trusted the brand name since then. Darned if I can remember what it is, though. Started with an "R".
Was it Rabvac?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Squishy22

I do vaccines myself as well. I dont see anything wrong with it if its done properly. Charging $21 at the vet is RIDICULOUS if the shot is only 4 bucks.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
I give all my own shots. The brand I use is Fort Dodge. However, I know there is constant improvments being made and I want to be sure that I am giving the most up to date vaccine that I can. Has anyone ever heard of this brand? Is it any good?
I use Duramune Max 5 @ 15 weeks old. And RabVac 3 @ 10 months for canine.

Fel-O-Vax PCT @ 12 weeks, Fel-O-Vax LV-K @ 16 weeks, and RabVac 3 @ 6 months for felines.

I personally think NO vaccine should be given more than once in 3 years.. to include Rabies, distemper, canine adenovirus-2 and canine parvovirus.

But, I would recommend a yearly blood chem and urinalysis.

I'm an intern for the past 6 years @ a State Hospital, and because of my views and past disagreements with my superiors, I do believe they are holding me back on the State level for my licence. Either way 7 years is the max for a State intern so, I'll wait it out. I should have just kept my mouth shut.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Poodle

I don't WANT to give DHPP yearly - however, I have to board my dogs overnight because we are taking a mini-vacation with my parents (who usually watch my boys). The dogs are coming on the trip with us, but we have to board them 1 night of the vacation. The boarding facility requires vaccinations (which includes a YEARLY DHPP, and a Bordetella given in the past 6 months - I asked), and I can't get around that.

I do not vaccinate my cats at all. They are strictly indoors, and I don't feel that they need unneccesary vaccinations.

Thank you Baxter'smybaby for my great siggy!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo-rizin View Post

I do not vaccinate my cats at all. They are strictly indoors, and I don't feel that they need unneccesary vaccinations.
I feel the same way, they get their kitten series and that is it. I am glad someone else feels this way. I hate how quickley people are to vaccinate every single year and not even think about how odd that sounds. It doesn't even makes sense to me!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

I vaccinate the girls myself but they still go to the vet for checkups. And i get the vaccinations from the vet for $25 and its all the vacs both of my girls need. I just don't have to pay for the office visit and they arnt as stressed(i was taught how to give them by my vet first though) This way they only go to the vet for there heartworm test and refill

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo-rizin View Post
I don't WANT to give DHPP yearly - however, I have to board my dogs overnight because we are taking a mini-vacation with my parents (who usually watch my boys). The dogs are coming on the trip with us, but we have to board them 1 night of the vacation. The boarding facility requires vaccinations (which includes a YEARLY DHPP, and a Bordetella given in the past 6 months - I asked), and I can't get around that.

Can you find a new boarding kennel?
Why would the kennel require it when most vets don't think it's healthy to vaccinate yearly?

My kennel accepts titer resluts.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

I buy my vacs ay the feed store. We do the vacs for the cats,dogs,and goats ourselves. We also did our horses ourselves when we still had them. Never had a problem.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Taxiderpy

Rabies are required yearly by law here, and administered by a vet. Everything else we do. I will say this though. I would never, ever use ANY Fort Dodge product. Just do a google search for consumer complaints about Fort Dodge, or check out the "lost foals" website if you don't believe me. If even just a fraction of these accusations are true, that is still thousands of animals that have been crippled or killed by Fort Dodge products. Not a chance I am willing to take with my friends.

http://lost-foals-group.4t.com/

We use Boehringer-Ingelheim Vetmedica vaccinations. They don't have the kind of allegations against their products Fort Dodge has, and they seem to work really well.

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/
Old 09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't give vaccines myself, since my adults dogs and cats only get the Rabies shot which has to be given by a vet. However, as far as brands to look for, I recently read that Dr. Ronald Schultz recommends these: Ft. Dodge,
Intervet, Merial, Pfizer, and Schering Plough. He does not recommend using
imported vaccines or those manufactured by off brand manufacturers.

I personally would avoid Ft. Dodge - I've heard so many stories of problems with them. I have heard a lot of good things about Intervet and Merial, from breeders who give their own vaccines to every puppy/kitten, so those are the brands I would trust.