Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Default Rawhide question

I used to buy Bear a store brand rawhide (he likes the long skinny ones, shaped like a short pencil). Anyway, he loves these things, they are his passion. I would give him one a night and he thoroughly enjoyed it - kind of like a smoker having that cig after dinner thing. Anyway, I stopped buying them because they must've started making them cheaper or something because I became concerned because they were like shattering in his mouth and he would kind of act like it hurt him. I think they were like splintering or something. It scared me. But now I feel bad for him because he loved them so much. Is there a good rawhide out there? He has no interest in the big ones, he likes just the long thin ones.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

I've got mixed emotions about rawhides. I used to give them to my dogs ALL THE TIME. Then I see that they're made with formaldehyde and cause cancer. I got scared altogether and stopped giving them

I now just give treats of PupCorn from time to time (Peanut Butter Flavor!). Better safe than sorry. Especially since I lost my two beloves within a year of each other to lymphoma...

For the good chewing affect, I now only buy butcher shank bones...
Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Big Dog

I'd like to add a little more information regarding the rawhides. Not all rawhides are cured with formaldahyde only those manufactured out side of the United States will be cured with this stuff. American made rawhides are not cured with the formaldahyde because the FDA prohibits it's use for curing. However, rawhide does not digest in the dog's stomach and can cause blockage of the bowels if they eat too much of it. If your dog likes to chew try getting him raw bones from the grocery. If you can't deal with the raw stuff, just give him a carrot to chew on or a yam, they're sweet and when he's done with it, you can just throw it away, or wash it off and put it in the fridge till tomorrow.

Good luck

Old 06-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Not crazy...

Get thicker rawhides. My 3 dachshunds had chewed them there whole lives, and the thicker ones last longer and dont shadder. Just make sure to take it away and throw it away when it become small enough to swallow and choke on.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 06-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Top Dog

Rawhide isn't particularly healthy anyway. Have you tried "bully sticks"? Ask your local feed store.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Quigleyfied

dried tendons are also a nice alternative.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Island dweller

I'd much rather give my dogs a frozen soup bone to chew on. I can get three of them from my local grocery store for $2 and they love them!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
I'd much rather give my dogs a frozen soup bone to chew on. I can get three of them from my local grocery store for $2 and they love them!
frozen soup bones.. Would they be cooked bones or raw?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Island dweller

Raw! Don't give your dog cooked bones!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

I like Mordy's and Saje's idea! Raw soup bones and dried "jerky" tendons are also awesome treats. You can also get dried pork tracheas at some feed stores. Both much more healthy than yucky ol' rawhide.