Low prey-drive breeds?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
What are some large/XL breeds that generally have a low prey-drive and could live with small animals (ferrets, guinea pigs, chinchillas, etc.) and not try and eat them when they're out of the cage and running around?

What about a St. Bernard?

milos_mommy

I think a lot of herding breeds, but they will of course try to herd them.

My American Eskimo used to chill with my chinchillas and guinea pigs and not do anything, but he was definately not a regular eskie. (plus he was only 30 lbs.)

Bernese Mountain dog? I've known a few immpeccably trained Berners.

Xerxes

Mr Poopy
Leonbergers, Some Mastiffs...just make sure you don't pick anything with "hound" in the name...:yikes:

Saintgirl

Yes, a Saint Bernard does have a low prey drive. Puppies can be puppies, but most certainly not like a husky or a terrier. We can even have a squirrel run out in front of us while on a walk and we might get an earlift out of him while my huskyX is intent on the kill!!! We have 2 cats and they will sometimes jump on him to jump on to the back of the couch and he might not even open his eyes. Typically a Saint hsa a very low prey drive, you just have to find a responsible breeder to get a true Saint temperment.

Tazwell

Don't forget the mutts! :D I've fostered a basset/beagle with pretty much no prey drive, a pure beagle with no prey drive, a lab/beagle with no prey drive, a basset hound/Lab mix with not even the slightest bit of prey drive (he had a chinchilla sit on his head. and he cuddled with the cat.), and even my little terrier/shepherd foster thing could care less.

Now that I look at these things, I see that most of them were hounds... But they lived with my chickens, mice, chinchillas, rats, and cats with nothing.

As for true breeds with no prey drive, I personally vote Newfie all the way! I don't think other mastiffs have a super high prey drive either, do they? I've not met any like that, at least.

Central Asian Shepherd Males-- females have hunting finishing prey drive.
Yet some females are living with ferrets.

I have many males that live in harmony with rabbits .

However tthey all have defense drive which means they will protect what ever they are raised with ferrets sheep dogs cats horses people etc.
Which means they would defend their FERRETS if a strange Ferret is just dropped into the pack.

I have a CASD living with a Yorkie breeder cause Coyotes jump her fence to take them into the hills in CA. SO the CASD lies there all day with 20 yorkies climbing on him . And not one Coyote has a easier lunch now

DanL

I'd disagree on the herding breeds if you are talking typical breeds like GSD, Belgians, Aussies, Border Collies, etc. Almost every dog I've seen from these breeds typically has high prey drive. There are always exceptions of course.

The only other large breed I have 1st had experience with is Great Danes, and Daisy has moderate prey drive. She's still a pup at 9 months, but she will harass the cat, stalk and kill birds, and stalk and chase our pug. I've also seen on rescue sites that a lot of Danes are not good with smaller animals. Daisy also has a pretty fair ball/toy drive which is prey based.

If you want a big dog that won't kill your small animals, your best bet is strict training and uber-vigilance when they are together. I can let our parrot out with Gunnar because he's disciplined enough to be put in a down and not move. Daisy can't be trusted with the bird out though, not yet.

Livestock guardians are bred to have little prey drive to insure they do NOT chase sheep vs just lay there and and protect from within.

Even then some are NOT safe around chickens.

Sadly some get flock guardians confused with herding dogs and assume the LGDS have prey drive for sport, high trainability and or herding.

Thank god my sheep come in when called cause my LGDS would never help me bring them in :) unless I use them to walk with me.

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Speaking directly from experience, I have a 125 lb., 1 year old neutered male Bernese Mountain Dog who adores our 4 month old, 7 lb. kitten. He is absolutely gentle, loving and nurturing to our little Harley - giving daily doses of slobbery kisses and watching out for him. He even shares his dog food with our kitten. He's the best big brother a kitten could have.

Also the breeder I got my pup from has three female Berners, one of whom actually nursed 8 kittens for six weeks along with her 4 pups. The Breeder ended up keeping two of the kittens who now get along famously with their bigger Berner sisters.

newfiegirl

My Newf has a low prey drive...except for snakes, she loves the chase those! I have many pics of Ebony with my cats, rabbit and ducklings, but I have been told by other Newf owners that they could never get pics like that with their Newf. Obviously there is a huge genetic component to prey drive, but I wonder about how exposure to prey effects the drive. Ebony was surrounded by all my other critters the day she came home and maybe other Newfs could be like her if they had the same exposure. ??? Just a thought.
For the most part though, Newfs are gentle with all things. :)

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Tosca has low prey drive but I suspect it's because she was raised with multiple cats.(?) She herds though. Does anybody know if Collies in general are high prey drive?

heartdogs

Leonberger, hands down. Not popular enough to have been ruined yet, and great with kids, too.

Ive seen quite a few Leos and shown then as well and they are very hyper.
One attacked a pit bull yes the Pit was the victim.
2 at the last show were more guardy inside then my own breed.

It may be because they are so inbred dont know.

But if choosing one it would be best to visit the breeder and see if the parents and or grandparents have the temperament someone is looking for.

They should be great with kids but I think a Newfie may be better.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
All 6 ACD's allow my ferrets to torture them. I have not had a ferret hurt yet. They are turned loose daily for exercise and the dogs do not bother them at all nor do my son's dogs when they are here. When I go to catch the little buggers the dogs help me by rounding them up but they were never taught to leave them play they just did. ACD's are herders.

PFC1

My Berner is kind to our cat, just wants to be friends with the ducks along the canal, barely notices the squirels in the yard, and is only mildly interested to see where the chipmonks dart off to.

Members online

No members online now.