Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

Shelties
-Sensitive. They're very aware of the tone of your voice, and they are very "soft" dogs.
-Aren't overly friendly with stranger - aloof.
-Talkers. They talk - they bark, howl, woof, and just about any other noise you can think of.
-They herd. People, children, dogs, cats, cars, you name it, it moves, they chase it.
-Not reliable off-leash. Granted, Pepe is reliable. But he's the exception.

Golden Retriever
-Intelligent. Too intelligent for some people.
-Active. Some people forget that this breed was bred to HUNT. They have incredible stamina and they need exercise. They aren't couch potatoes.
-Velcro-dog. They get very attached to their people, and they need people around alot to be truely happy.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Why not to get a jrt?

they need socialization. lots of it.
they need training. lots of it.
they need attention. LOTS OF IT.
they need exercise. LOTS OF IT. both mentally and physically.
they're smart. Smart enough to push a chair over to get to the chicken on your chicken table. Smart enough to open doors. and cabinets.
they're determined little sh!ts. You put something they want on a shelf and they'll figure out how to get it, or stand there staring until you find something better.
they like attention. lots of it.
They bark. A lot.
They're terriers. They chase anything they might consider varmin. This does include yorkies and hamsters. And rabbits. And chinchillas. And guinea pigs. And birds.
They like attention. A lot of it.

a JRT is only a dog for someone who is willing to pretty much dedicate their entire days to training. It's not like getting a golden puppy or an adult dog. You can't pick everything small and chewable off the floor and housebreak them and leave them. You can't take them for a walk in the morning and expect them to sleep until the kids get home from school. You can't expect a JRT to let a kid pull it's ears and tail and go home in one piece. They're not a dog for someone who just wants a family pet. They're a dog for someone who wants to spend time and money and energy and thought on their dog. Someone who is going to do something stimulating with a dog. If you do agility, if you do canine freestyle or rally or GTG or dock jumping or simply train lots of tricks, then great. If you want to teach your kids responsibility or have a jogging partner, nope.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Just try me..

LOL JRTs aren't as bad as all that. Mine don't bark, unless someone is driving in. Maybe well bred, well adjusted JRTs don't bark much. They need as much exercise as labs, border collies and many other working breeds. I have rehabbed a few (about 7) JRTs that were due to be PTS and I never spend more than 20 min a day training any of them. For obed comps I train 5 min 5 times a week, for agility 20 min 3 times a week, max, unless I am in a class. I do think you need dog savvy owners, who have a good understanding of dog behaviour.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Rebel With Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Aussie Cons:

-SHEDDING. Worse twice a year, but usually shedding a little bit throughout the year. The show lines are more prone to heavy matts and tangles, so daily brushing is a must for most Aussies.

-Very high energy and will entertain themselves if left to their own devices. Walks don't do much unless there is a game involved in it that makes them think. They need a job of some sort, whether it's helping out around the house, agility, herding, supervising, etc. They don't take kindly to just sitting around.

-Very smart! They can and do outthink their people on a regular basis, but they have such a great smile you can't stay mad for long. And if you try, oh do they get creative in their efforts to cheer you up! Great for training, but these are not lazy dogs.

-Seperation anxiety. Incredibly velcro, it takes lots of patience to get them used to be left alone. Their smartness comes into play here as well, as they will think up very interesting ways to either try to get to you or to give you a Picasso-esque mess when you get home.

-Barky barky barky!! I'm STILL working with mine on "quiet"...not obessive barkers like shelties, but movement will set them off instantly. They like to control bark, especially if they are not allowed to go herd/chase whatever is moving.

-Herding breed. They herd. This usually means nipping and jumping. Can be trained not to or compromises can be reached, but always bear in mind that your cats/children/squirrels are going to be constantly harrassed by the diligent Aussie who is going a little too OCD about grouping.

-Socialization: They have a natural wariness of new people and situations and can become very skittish and neurotic if not properly socialized, which can lead to big issues later down the road. The natural wariness also means that they are most likely not going to jump up and love everyone that they meet, which can be a turn off to some people.

Pros: They are the most loyal, loving and clownish sort of dog who loves to please you and make you laugh, even if it's in exasperation. I will never be without an Aussie!
Well the sums up the ACD too lol well said Zoom
Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Are you dead yet?

Border collies:

They want to work. Those people who say they need a job? They aren't lying. They NEED a job. But anything can be a job to a BC -- whether it be fetching the newspaper or shredding your sofa. In their younger years they require hyper-vigilance on the part of the owner to keep them out of trouble.

They're not quiet dogs. They don't bark a lot, but they're always on the move and if you have more than one of them, prepare for a daily Smackdown in your living room, bathroom and in bed (on your face) at 3am. These wrestling matches don't wait for the commercial breaks while you're watching TV. Fur flies. It's immensely entertaining.... if you don't live with it.

They have an aversion to anything new - this can be people, environments, sounds, foods... whatever. Without good socialization, Border Collies can be hesitant to accept new things.

These dogs are problem-solvers, and they figure out our minds quicker than we figure out theirs. They will manipulate the weak and naive until they get what they want.

They're sensitive to primate body language. An over-the-top, heavy-handed owner is probably going to confuse a Border Collie. They're very conscious of space and subtle clues like eyebrow movements or pursed lips. It's easy to push one of these dogs away if you display the wrong signals. I think a solid understanding of dog body language is essential with a border collie.

Some are prone to noise sensitivity, and the same brilliant mind that figures out training commands and forms associations in a snap can draw the wrong conclusion from one frightening experience -- leaving them crippled in their acceptance of certain things.

They tend to be defensive of their space, their people and their posessions.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

It's hard for me to say, since Meg is the only Mountain Cur I've spent much time with. They are a hunting breed, so in general, I would expect a bit more prey drive and a bit less reliability off-leash. But honestly - if they are all like Meg, I'd say every family should own one!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
<--------Orson

Reasons not to have a Dobe, based on MY opinion and MY experiences.....

clingy (orson must be touching you a large percentage of the time, and my last boy was the same)

high energy

has a fairly short life expectancy

sheds little hairs everywhere anytime of the year

prejudices from people

high chance of male/male aggression

Other than the short life, these things aren't a bother to me personally.......it's all about what YOU want/expect in a dog.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

Australian Shepherd.
What endears these dogs to Aussie lovers sometimes makes "regular" humans want to rip their hair out. They are problem solvers, and workaholics. They will herd bottles, kids, other dogs, and the mailman in addition to livestock, if not trained properly. Aussies have strong herding and guarding tendencies, and they may not be everyone's friend. If they think someone doesn't belong on your property, they are likely to keep them off it.

Here are the Aussie Dog Property Laws:
  • If I like it, it's mine
  • If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
  • If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  • If I can take it from you, it's mine.
  • If it's mine, it must never be yours.
  • If it just looks like mine, it's mine.
  • If I saw it first, it's mine.
  • If you are playing with something else and put it down, it's mine.
  • If I am chewing something up, all of the pieces are mine.
  • If it used to be yours, get over it.
  • If it's broken, it's yours.

Aussies have favorite things, can be a tad obsessive - my girl will dive into her toy bin and pick out the green Flippy Flopper frisbee (her absolute fave toy) even if she has to search through three or four others to get it! I even washed it one day, and she still picked it out.
There's no such thing as not having time to exercise your Aussie. These dogs will write their own job descriptions if they get bored, and you may not like the results.
If you don't like being followed, don't get one. They aren't velcro dogs in the sense that they want to be on you, but they always want to have you in their sights, and don't expect to get up and slip into the other room without them hearing you LOL. They will snooze in hall between rooms so you can't leave without going by them.
You know he's on the level.
~Author Unknown

I don't whisper - I translate!

Paws for Praise - Make a Tail Wag!
http://www.pawsforpraise.com
Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Your Mom

To add to the first Greyhound post:
*Many are rather lazy dogs, so if you're looking for high energy you're usually looking in the wrong place.

*They have horrible teeth so be prepared for stinky breath and expensive dentals.

Alapahas:
*High drive dogs
*A sloooooooooooooow thinking bulldog brain in a fast paced body . . . it spells trouble.
*The guardian instinct can be a bit much

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Mr Poopy

Wow, such great responses! I think this is the best way to learn about each others dogs...

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.