Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever:

Tollers are extremely active dogs that (should, if bred for more than just looks) want to be on the go all of the time, and they do need lots of exercise throughout the day. Walks do virtually nothing for a Toller.

They aren't barky usually, but they do have a wide array of noises and do like to "talk" a lot. Then there's the scream that they use when really excited or anxious - not a pleasant sound.

Tollers love to work and once they start, they don't know when to quit. They'd go on all day if you let them, and many have literally worked themselves to death.

While Tollers are friendly dogs, they can be rather reserved with people they don't know and many think it's rude of strangers to pet them, but they tolerate it. Tollers save their exuberance for close friends and family.

Tollers are highly intelligent dogs, but that doesn't mean they're always easy to train. Many Tollers always want to know "what's in it for me?", "Why should I do this for you?". They don't have the typical retriever "Just tell me what you want and I'll do it just to make you happy" sort of attitude. Some do (like my Dance), but many don't. They also don't do well with repetition - you can't work on one thing forever, or they'll get bored and just quit paying attention to you. They do tend to require lots of patience and imagination while training to prevent them for getting bored. They also, like most dogs, need to be trained in a very upbeat, positive manner. Tollers easily shut down and won't do anything if you're upset and/or harsh with them. They need kind (but firm) handling.

Tollers are a pretty quirky breed and need tons of socialization, more so than many other breeds.

----

There is more, but those are what I find turn most people off of the breed quickly.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Uffda!

Boston Terriers:

-they snort
-they fart
-they snore (some more than others)
-some can be DA
-they can have eye and breathing problems
-they have freakishy pitiful faces when they're getting disciplined
-they usually have two moods: lazy or go...Go....GOOOO!
-they are little snugglers that love to sleep with you

But they are such loving little goof balls that once you have one in your life you can't imagine life without them. I've never had a dog that looked at me with as much adoration as Joey.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Alpha Sheltie

Shelties
You better enjoy grooming if you want to live with a Sheltie. They're also known for being great conversationalists. Other than that though, they're great dogs.

Malinois/Belgians
It depends on where the dog comes from (working or strictly show lines) but my working line Mal drives me CRAZY. She's extremely smart but gets bored VERY easily. She's incredibly drivey which could make agility training a little bit harder on us. I swear, she never sleeps. She's always on the go. We could go for a long hike or a 5km+ run and she'd still be jumping off the walls. Also, because she's always moving, she gets hurt without realizing it and keeps going. Once she jumped over a smaller fence and caught a piece of skin along the fence.. course, she didn't care, she just wanted to keep running. She's also very vocal and cautious when it comes to strangers. And pretty much 24/7, she is thinking "Hiiiii ball! BALL! Ballballballballballball. BALLLLLLLLLL. HIHIHIBALL! THROWIT! BALLLLLhihihi!!"

I still love her breed for some reason though.

Two Dogs and a Bitch! - Our photo blog!

Ashley [the Human];
Kai & Kaedyn [the Shelties];
Keeva [the Belgian];
Old 08-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Rebel With Cause

Cattledogs are high maintenance.
Never do I recommend an ACD unless you really know the breed. They require work and I mean they need to have something to do even if it is an hour or two of hard play or they can and do drive you nuts. They need escape proof yards they can jump higher then most dogs and if they can not jump a fence they will find another way out. They are heavy shedders twice a year. They always have a plan. They are one of the best and smartest dogs you will ever own but before you own one you have to fully know what you are getting into and sadly many don't and that is why I get theirs.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Mr Poopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
Xeres thanks for clearing that up! I met these two phaoh dogs at the dog park and evertime they come I would go up to them and they would walk away like I was invisible or not pay attention to me at all if I petted them. They sure do know how to make you feel crumpy! I was commenting on how beautiful and sleek and how lovely their eyes were and I felt ignored by them! Only dog that made me feel that way! They belittled me! The way they carry themselves its like they're royality! I think they get carry away with the name ''pharaoh'' they start to think they really are one........maybe pharaohs become pharaoh dogs in the ''afterlife''!

Pharaohs do tend to act very haughty or proud. The reason they don't react to you, is that you-the human- are supposed to react to them. That's the way they view life. Now if you had food, or something that they wanted, they would befriend you in a heartbeat...or faster.

And the very best greeting you can get from a Pharaoh Hound: They run up to you, jump up and bounce off of you with their front paws. Then they walk away with their nose up.

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
"Poopsie"

Greyhounds are great dogs for most people but they should never be owned by anyone who does not want a dog that has to be leashed at all times, unless in a completely enclosed setting. They can never truly be trusted off lead.

Potential owners should also know that they are not good for outdoors. Due to their small amount of body fat they cannot handle temperature changes well so they are indoor only dogs.

Additionally they are not use to being alone. Even the 5 year old retired racing greyhound has NEVER been alone probably a day in its life. They are use to being around their own breed and around humans at all times. While some DO have SA, most can acclimate well over time. But this is something to consider and why many folks get more than 1 (although that is partly due to them being addicting! ).

~Shelly, Jimmy James (JJ) & Prudence

The Ayn Rand Frequently Revolving Quote:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. "
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Twin 2.0

Aussie Cons:

-SHEDDING. Worse twice a year, but usually shedding a little bit throughout the year. The show lines are more prone to heavy matts and tangles, so daily brushing is a must for most Aussies.

-Very high energy and will entertain themselves if left to their own devices. Walks don't do much unless there is a game involved in it that makes them think. They need a job of some sort, whether it's helping out around the house, agility, herding, supervising, etc. They don't take kindly to just sitting around.

-Very smart! They can and do outthink their people on a regular basis, but they have such a great smile you can't stay mad for long. And if you try, oh do they get creative in their efforts to cheer you up! Great for training, but these are not lazy dogs.

-Seperation anxiety. Incredibly velcro, it takes lots of patience to get them used to be left alone. Their smartness comes into play here as well, as they will think up very interesting ways to either try to get to you or to give you a Picasso-esque mess when you get home.

-Barky barky barky!! I'm STILL working with mine on "quiet"...not obessive barkers like shelties, but movement will set them off instantly. They like to control bark, especially if they are not allowed to go herd/chase whatever is moving.

-Herding breed. They herd. This usually means nipping and jumping. Can be trained not to or compromises can be reached, but always bear in mind that your cats/children/squirrels are going to be constantly harrassed by the diligent Aussie who is going a little too OCD about grouping.

-Socialization: They have a natural wariness of new people and situations and can become very skittish and neurotic if not properly socialized, which can lead to big issues later down the road. The natural wariness also means that they are most likely not going to jump up and love everyone that they meet, which can be a turn off to some people.

Pros: They are the most loyal, loving and clownish sort of dog who loves to please you and make you laugh, even if it's in exasperation. I will never be without an Aussie!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

With shelties, it's the grooming... that's about it.
A well-bred sheltie won't bark that much. My sister's were barkers (UGH), but Auggie will bark a few times and then knock it off.
The herding instinct is kind of annoying though. Seriously... biting my kneecaps is ow. x_x

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Quote:
A well-bred sheltie won't bark that much
Oh I've seen plenty of incredibly well bred Shelties that BAAAAARRK! In fact I think Laurelin's are pretty nicely bred dogs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Walks into Mordor

Blackmouth cur---They're hounds. If they catch a scent or see a small animal, they're off like a rocket. Don't let these guys off-leash.

They have a definate hound smell. Zeus smells more "doggy" than any other dog I've owned.

Shedding. They have a very short, close coat, but they shed like you wouldn't believe. And since the coat is so short, it doesn't pick up well with vaccuum cleaner brushes.

Catahoula----Oy. Hmm, where to start? They're extremely smart and get bored easily, meaning they get into EVERYTHING. And if you put something out of reach, they'll just figure out another way to get to it.

They're active. Voodoo is actually quite mellow now that he's older, but he was an absolute nightmare as a puppy. He didn't have an "off" switch.

They have a very impish sense of humor. I can't describe it any other way. Voodoo has managed to goose me in the shower, scatter my dust piles as I'm trying to get the dustpan, and tug on my armload of laundry *just* enough to unbalance me and send clothes flying.

Aggression. I'm NOT saying that they're dangerous dogs. But they seem to be "harder" dogs than most other herding breeds. Dog aggression is a big worry. It can be eased with training and socialization, but I wouldn't trust these dogs in a dog park or play group situation. And from what I've read, they can also be human aggressive if not socialized enough.

Physical capabilities. They're not built like heavy mastiffs or bullies, but they're solid, athletic dogs. Many times they're mistaken for pitties. Voodoo has managed to cannonball through a wooden trellis and a glass window without blinking an eye, and can leap to a height of 6 feet from a dead standstill---repeatedly (he does it every day at dinnertime!). Just keeping these dogs contained is a challenge in itself, and training is an absolute must if you don't want to be dragged all over the place during a walk.

They don't respond well to bullying or strongly physical training methods. They're very eager to please you, but don't try to overpower them. Aside from being strong, they seem to have a pretty high pain tolerance. I once tried to physically maneuver Voodoo in a down, and I couldn't do it. He locked every muscle in his body and wouldn't give an inch. But when I stopped and asked him nicely, but firmly, he did it.