Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

You made me laugh! I know I am pathetic in that way, but I remember one, one day when I was in Xerk's mercy and he let me pet him and didn't act like I was poop stuck underneath his paw

With that in mind, people shouldn't get Am Staffs because/if

- of legal liabilities (insurance problems, BSL, etc)
- they have thin skin and get too mad and offended by comments of other people
- they are not willing to accept that it is not only "their" dog, if their dog is misbehaving they shed a light on the entire breed
- they are not able willing to provide a lot of socialization and training to have a well-balanced dog
- don't want to deal with dog-aggression issues
- don't want to deal with a high prey drive
- destructiveness when bored
- they can be strong willed and need a confident and patient owner
- they don't want a high energy dog
- they are not humorous folks who don't want to be cracking up over goofball
Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Mr Poopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You made me laugh! I know I am pathetic in that way, but I remember one, one day when I was in Xerk's mercy and he let me pet him and didn't act like I was poop stuck underneath his paw
And if he let you touch him that day, he will remember you the next time he sees you. (If you ever come back to VA)

He does give the impression that he's a bit stuckup, doesn't he?

Jules, don't forget that Tbone is a silly doll, capable of amazing feats of goofiness and loveability!

Awesome answers folks, I feel like I'm learning alot about your various breeds of dogs. Thanks!

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
coonhound crazy

I gotta say with the shelties....well, we lived across an alley from some people who had two. Their back yard was at the level of my bedroom window. I love all dogs and previously would have said shelties were adorable and soforth, but after two years of living with the 5 AM sheltie wake-up call every day, I'm not such a fan anymore.

When someone with a coonhound says your dog's barking is obnoxious, you've got a problem!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndlove View Post
I gotta say with the shelties....well, we lived across an alley from some people who had two. Their back yard was at the level of my bedroom window. I love all dogs and previously would have said shelties were adorable and soforth, but after two years of living with the 5 AM sheltie wake-up call every day, I'm not such a fan anymore.

When someone with a coonhound says your dog's barking is obnoxious, you've got a problem!
Tell me about it, LOL. My two will be out in the back yard and just start up howling and barking for no reason! Also, once they start barking, it seems you can't get them to stop. Nikki also howls to various tv shows and movies. A Very Merry Unbirthday in Alice in Wonderland is her favorite.

Shelties are really good dogs, but boy do they shed and bark!

ETA:

Huh, Xerxes. I didn't know they de-barked Pharaohs often. A lot of people debark shelties and collies. It seems most at shows are debarked. Neither of mine are as I don't agree with it, but that's besides the point.

I wonder what dog breed is the most vocal. lol

It's a good thing barky dogs don't bother me much!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

None .... their wonderful personalities make up for their shedding ten fold !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

American Cocker Spaniels:

Would make a good all around dog for most families but..

You need to brush them, I'm mildly bad about not doing it daily.. But they don't tangle instantly.. They need to be groomed, or you potentially will have a floor length coat that does need daily brushing.. So grooming tools either need to be bought, or a regular grooming trip needs to be scheduled and paid for..

And you need to buy quality.. a well bred cocker is a wonderful thing. A poorly bred one can be a nightmare. And the poorly bred ones are the ones people tell me about all the time. The ones that eat children and submissive pee everywhere..

Other than that, they'd make a great pet for almost anyone. They are happily little wigglebums that brighten your day.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Squishy face

Labs -
- Need exercise, especially when a puppy!

- Their teenage stage will give you grey hairs on your grey hairs, because puppies WILL destroy things if not watched constantly! They usually calm down at 2, but sometimes not until 4 or 5!

-HAIR. LOTS OF IT. Labs shed, shed, shed, shed. There will always be dog hair gathering in your corners. Brushing can help, but it doesn't make that much of a difference.

- Drool. Some labs drool a lot, especially when there is food around.

- Medical problems. Labs are prone to ear infections, skin problems, and other things.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Reasons NOT to get a JRT:

- They require tons of exercise
- They need mental stimulation as well
- They have strong personalities so obedience is a must
- They require tons of exercise
- They have high prey drive so if you have cats that is something to seriously consider
- They need a job
- Their prey drive can lead to herding and nipping children if allowed
- Smooth coats shed like nobody business!
- Last but not least, they require TONS of exercise

Reasons not to get a lab:

- They shed big time
- They will eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING - especially as puppies!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Just try me..

JRTs

Smart, problem solving. Very good at self entertainment. Even when well socialized can be very DA. It is 'normal' for them to be same sex aggressive. As a breed they tend to dig. Non forgiving, which is why they don't do well with children. VERY high prey drive. Even when raised with cats, some will wake up one day and kill the family cat. Have been known to kill each other (hear about it on lists/forums at least a few times a year when same sex, even altered, dogs are left alone together). High energy. Expect to be part of the family.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Xeres thanks for clearing that up! I met these two phaoh dogs at the dog park and evertime they come I would go up to them and they would walk away like I was invisible or not pay attention to me at all if I petted them. They sure do know how to make you feel crumpy! I was commenting on how beautiful and sleek and how lovely their eyes were and I felt ignored by them! Only dog that made me feel that way! They belittled me! The way they carry themselves its like they're royality! I think they get carry away with the name ''pharaoh'' they start to think they really are one........maybe pharaohs become pharaoh dogs in the ''afterlife''!