Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 PM
irotas's Avatar
irotas irotas is offline
Sucker for a droopy lab
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 361
Question Are acorns safe?

Manni seems to like eating the little green acorns that fall off the trees. He typically eats the green part and spits out the rest. I try not to let him eat too many, and I've been wondering if they're safe or not. So far they don't seem to have caused any visible problems.

I looked around on the internet but didn't find anything definitive. Anyone know?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
drmom777's Avatar
drmom777 drmom777 is offline
Bloody but Unbowed
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,480
Default

I know in the book My Side of the Mountain, it claims you have to cook acorns before eating, but I don't know if that's because of flavor or toxicity.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
drmom777's Avatar
drmom777 drmom777 is offline
Bloody but Unbowed
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,480
Default

I found a site that claims they can cause severe diarrhea.

http://www.devoschildrens.org/Conten..._n_poisons.pdf

Apparentlhy the toxic agents are tannins, which are also found in tea.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
irotas's Avatar
irotas irotas is offline
Sucker for a droopy lab
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 361
Default

Ah, nice find!

Guess no more acorns for Manni!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Psyfalcon Psyfalcon is offline
Fishies!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,354
Default

I wouldn't really consider tannins a toxin in the sense we normally think about them. They're the things that make tea tea colored and tropical rivers tea colored (and the Pine Barren rivers tea colored in NJ).

The only accounts I can find are in Cattle, which I assume can eat many more than a dog. Deer, while different from cattle and dogs, eat them by the ton in the fall. It seems that Humans have clear symptoms before anything really dangerous happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/1997-06-01/Miracles-of-Oak-Elder.aspx
DETRIMENTAL PROPERTIES: Eating large amounts of the raw acorns can lead to toxicity due to the tannic acid. Humans rarely eat toxic amounts of raw acorns because of the extreme bitterness. Anyone with a normal sense of taste would find it nearly impossible to consume large amounts. Those who have persisted in eating raw acorns have nearly always been stopped short of death because of the onset of frequent urination, constipation, abdominal pains, and extreme thirst. Kingsbury, author of Poisonous Plants in the U.S. and Canada (Oxford University Press, 1993) included raw acorns on his list of poisonous plants. He stated that eating large quantities over a long period of time, results in bloody stools and other symptoms.
__________________
Buster
PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM
lakotasong's Avatar
lakotasong lakotasong is offline
Sled Dog Guardian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York State
Posts: 870
Default

At work last Friday, we rectally removed an acorn from a dog who had been vomiting and having diarrhea for a couple days... X-rays showed nothing else internally, just a lot of gas in the bowels. I would keep my dog away from acorns if they were common around here!
__________________
"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." - Albert Schweitzer

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Barb04's Avatar
Barb04 Barb04 is offline
Love my pets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 27,110
Default

Don't know, but we have over 50 oak trees and our entire lawn gets full of acorns.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM
SummerRiot's Avatar
SummerRiot SummerRiot is offline
Dog Show Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,056
Default

Acorns are toxic
__________________
Riot
Nyxi
Tyr TT
Ares
Princess aka Tettles




Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2007, 10:54 AM
HoundedByHounds's Avatar
HoundedByHounds HoundedByHounds is offline
Oh, it's *you*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Texas, USA
Posts: 8,415
Default

Acorns are so toxic deer love to eat them. LOL.

Friend of mine has a Beagle that eats them constantly. He's fine, but FAT...acorns are very very fattening, which is why deer etc like them...they help build up winter stores of fat. She had to limit his access because he wasn't losing weight and it was due to the acorns.

I personally would not freak if my dog ate the occasional acorn.
__________________
Gina H.
"Run with the dogs, tonight...in Suburbia"-Pet Shop Boys


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 AM
SummerRiot's Avatar
SummerRiot SummerRiot is offline
Dog Show Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,056
Default

Acorns can be toxic to dogs hehe

Its a mild toxin.. but non the less a toxin that can cause loose stools and vomitting..

Also if they eat enough - it can cause some expensive surgeries for removal hehe
__________________
Riot
Nyxi
Tyr TT
Ares
Princess aka Tettles




Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site