Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Default Hurting Himself

Today when I was brushing Baron I noticed that he had a sore on his hindquarters. I took a mental note and am going to tell my mom about it when she gets home. I kept brushing him and once I got to his back I noticed he started kicking himself (like when you scratch a dogs belly and their leg starts going). Where his foot touched him was right where his sore was.

What can I do so he isn't hurting himself when I brush his back? His nails are already kept short. I can't not brush his back with another brush because he tends to do this with my slicker and comb I have for him too.

I don't know how relevent this info is but he's a 10 year old GSD who only just started to be ticklish about his back and I was using a rake on him. He was at the vets a few months ago(May or early June) and they found nothing wrong with him.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I run with scissors

Sounds like a hotspot. Lots of dogs get them this time of year and GSDs are prone to them. Does he try to chew at it?

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Its not a hotspot. Its more like a scrape, like if you scratch your arm to much and just take off the first layer of skin.

He has had a few hotspots this summer and this is differnt from them. He has not tried to chew this.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

if he only does it when you brush him.... Maybe try putting a sock or a boot on his foot so he can't scratch with his nails.

Sorry.... that's all I've got.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

Heck that might work. Thanks, I would have never thought of that.