Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Lea ur pup is sooooooo cute,is she ur first?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Not to sound mean (though I know it may seem so), you really have no idea what you're in for or what you're doing if you are going to try and breed your dog. You didn't even know if two different breeds could mate. And you don't know your dog's cycle and when to breed her. PLEEEEEZE, don't add to the backyard breeder list and if you want lots of dogs, RESCUE! And if you want a certain breed, there is a breed rescue for that! I will help hook you up, even. PLEEEEEZE, don't do it...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Puppy Dog

EliNHunter i may not know what im doing but since the peopl that my finacee is doing this are away and she is visiting family in poland for the week i thought i would post on here and ask as i haven't had time to talk to her about it.

I AM NOT the one doing this i was just curious about some things and instead of waking my fiancee up at 3am i thought i would post o here.

She has had 13 dogss before and has bred before but not cavaliers, that's why she said we have to go to someone who knows everything about cavaliers.

I know i don't know anything about it and i posted a few questions on here before and i get made to feel like a criminal, i am not doing this, i am simpy curious as i have toruble sleeping and thought i would ask a few questions as i can't sleep due to jet lag.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Felurian

We don't want you to feel like a criminal - we just care and worry about so many dogs ending up in shelters and so many poorly bred creatures suffering. Now that you've explained the situation we can go from there.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

You're right ! I jumped on your case. You're here to learn and we're here to help. Cavaliers have become very popular and will be go by the way of many other breeds if not carefully bred. I'm glad the breeders you're contacting are over seas where this breed was loved for many years. If you look into the AKC site, you'll find a lot of problems that have arisen ....heart/ knees etc etc. We here are for healthy happy companions. Please... watch your "visitor" every moment if he comes....you don't want your girl to have a litter before she's 1 year old.!!! Ask alot of questions here, and buy GOOD books !
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas
EliNHunter i may not know what im doing but since the peopl that my finacee is doing this are away and she is visiting family in poland for the week i thought i would post on here and ask as i haven't had time to talk to her about it.

I AM NOT the one doing this i was just curious about some things and instead of waking my fiancee up at 3am i thought i would post o here.

She has had 13 dogss before and has bred before but not cavaliers, that's why she said we have to go to someone who knows everything about cavaliers.

I know i don't know anything about it and i posted a few questions on here before and i get made to feel like a criminal, i am not doing this, i am simpy curious as i have toruble sleeping and thought i would ask a few questions as i can't sleep due to jet lag.
We're not jumping on you, and I commend you for coming to a resource before jumping into a possible breeding scene on your part. You may find some "tough love" here at times. That doesn't mean we don't want to help educate you, though...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:56 AM
Puppy Dog

Thank you for your help, i understand where you are comming from and thank you for looking out for the health and safety of my female dog.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 AM
Harley & Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas
i know that female dogs should be spayed and mine will be after she has her first litter.
I just want to know, why will you spay her AFTER she's had a litter? I'm just confused.. Why do you want her to have a litter in the first place?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 AM
Island dweller

Hi Vegas,
I just wanted to put in my two cents. I personally feel that there are too many people breeding dogs and too many homeless dogs in shelters however if you do breed we want to be here to help and answer any questions. Love4Pits is a husky breeder and she is very responsible at that. Bubbatd doesn't breed anymore but she has a lot of experience and could help you a lot.

To answer your questions - yes your dog can get pregnant from practically LOOKING at an unneutered male. It doesn't matter the breed. Well that's not completely true. I think it's pretty darn hard for a Great Dane to breed with a chihuahua... but you get want I mean.

I'm not sure how old males are before than can first start to breed but I bet it's pretty young and the male that you get will try to breed with your female as soon as he can.

There are numerous tests and precautions that you need to take before breeding your dogs. I don't know them as I've never bred but Love4Pits could help you with that. Also you will want to start thinking about people who will take the pups and the kind of questions you will ask them so you know they will go to a good, caring, permanent home.

Good for you for asking questions and being so open to our questions.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

The problem is that it's not safe for a dog to have a litter before she is 2 years old, because they are not physically adult yet. It would be like having a 12 year old getting pregnant. So it's much safer to spay them before they get a litter, especially for small breeds, as they can die if they get mated to larger males by accident (and I'm sure it does happen).

In your case, instead of having to go through all this trouble, I would just adopt 4 more dogs from a rescue. Although I can understand that if breeding her dogs is something natural to your fiancee it might be an issue to get her to understand that...

For the record too, I don't think that they have the same opinions about breeding in Europe and in the US - at least not where i came from.