Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Thinking of getting a new puppy but have a question first.

Hi

I am thinking of getting a second cavalier king charles puppy, the one i have now is 9 months old but was wondering something.

If i get a puppy in a couple of months what are the chances that in a year they will try and mate?

(i know that female dogs should be spayed and mine will be after she has her first litter, after coming to this site i have the advise of a breeding expert who has breeded only cavaliers for the last 30 years and had not done it for the money. But as he and his wife are away i would like to know before they get back in 3 weeks).
Old 06-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Puppy Dog

One other quick question.

My friend is coming to visit me and he has a yorkshire terrier and my cavalier is in heat, i have asked him to leave his dog home but if they where to mate would my cavalier king charles have pups?

(as i said above i do have the help of some one who has been doing this for a long time, it's just they are away for a while and we will be sitting down and talking once they are back in length)
Old 06-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

You have a female now ?? Need more facts before I can put in my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Puppy Dog

yes i have a femal now, she is 9 months old, i am wanting to get a male in 2-3 months once i move to my bigger house that i will be renting. I was wondering if they are bought up with each other will they mate?
If so at what age do male dogs want to start mateing?

thank u
Old 06-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

GEEEEEEEZ!!!!! That post came in after I replied !!! Of course they WILL mate !!! and yes, she would have puppies !!!! You should not even consider mating your female until her 3rd or 4th heat ! Your new male should be at least 2 and have all the breed checks as well as your female......Already you're up to keeping the dogs separated at least 10 weeks over the coming years, $500. in testing and a least $1000. for the litter if no problems occur.........For what ???? To go through 8 to 9 weeks of the most demanding time on your part to have health /happy, socialized pups.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Puppy Dog

just so im sure i get what you are saying, even if the other dog is a yorkshire terrier and mine is a cavalier they will mate and have pups?and if i get a male pup once he grows up he will mate and have pups with my female cavalier also?

My fiancee has put aside the money for breeding for a long time, she actually want's to keep most of the pups as she works from home. She has 13 dogs back in poland growing up but was not allowed to bring them with her (her mom didn't want to let them go) THERE IS NO WAY she is having 13 dogs here,lol, we agreed on 5.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

It really doesn't matter what breeds the two dogs are. As long as one is female and the other is male then they will mate and have puppies if not nuetered/spayed.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

BTW.....The breed has only been recognized by AKC since 1995....Where did they breed for 30 years ???
Old 06-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Puppy Dog

In sheffield, england.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

king charles are absolutely adorable!!!!