Dry skin

Sher

Designed for Love
Does anyone know of a spray or cream to use on my dogs coat that might help with dry skin? She seems to scratch alot and I know she has no fleas, so I am suspecting dry skin. She is a Yorkie mix and I understand they are known for dry skin. Thanks for any replies. :)

otch1

What a cutie she is! Generally, you first address a skin condition from the inside out. What are you feeding her, how long have you been feeding the current diet and when did skin problems start to develop? Smell her ears, yeast like smell? Any licking and chewing on paws as well? These would be questions your vet might ask, ruling out other issues, before recommending a dietary change.

jjsmom

"Poopsie"
I agree that working from the inside out can be the best way to deal with itchy skin. It is possible your dog can be dealing with some sort of allergy or other skin issue so this is something to consider and if the itching is severe, I think a trip to the vet might be in order.

However, if this is just an occasional itching due to weather changes, etc…then in addition to a high quality food, salmon oil can be an excellent to help with coat and skin issues.

As far as a quick fix while you are waiting for food/ supplements to help, DVM pharmaceuticals has a decent spray that can help with itchy skin. It is called “relief†and you can usually get it at the vets, but many high end food and holistic pet health stores carry this product. Again though, if you are dealing with allergy or more severe skin problems, this is only going to “mask†the problem and the real source of the problem should be addressed.

http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/about_dvm.html

good luck!
:D

Sher

Designed for Love
She is not scratching all the time. It's just every now and then. I gave her a bath the other day and she seems to be scrathing more since then. Still not a great deal. I just used the 'gentle puppy shampoo' that came with her (I will get that 'earth' stuff for next time). I thought it might have dried her out. Her skin underneathe looks perfect...no redness or scabbing or anything. No flaking, either. I just want to keep it that way. I was just looking for some sort of 'conditioning' spray to keep her coat from drying out. We are here in FL and mostly in the a/c. I also read somewhere on this site that I shouldn't dry brush her? Should I mist her as I brush? Why shouldn't she be dry brushed? I didn't know this and have been dry brushing her.:( Thanks for your help!

jjsmom

"Poopsie"
Thanks for the additional info and clarification. I agree with CM that EarthBath has some great products. I also really like “avoderm” and I can usually find it at Petco.

http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/skin_coat.html

Also, the salmon oil addition I mentioned earlier I think would still help some if you don’t already include something like that in her food.

Members online

No members online now.