Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Does anyone know how they are with other dogs (I've heard that a lot of them are DA)?
Can they generally be trained to be reliable off leash?

Don't mean to hijack your thread Georgy, hope you don't mind.
My neighbor's so far isn't really mean to our dogs (he's an intact 6 month old). He plays rough but what puppy doesn't. Hannah has set him straight a couple times though.

Also my neighbor's dog IS NOT reliable off leash. He will take off at the slightest sound/smell/movement and it's a couple hours until he can get him back. He is ok on leash and will listen but off leash is a whole nother story!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

The ones I have had experience with have all been hyper, bordering on nervous. All the ones I have known were biters and wore bark collars on a regular basis...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Uffda!

lol, jeezuz! What am I getting myself into?! Well, everyone wish me luck!

PWCorgi- no problem! Hijack away, cuz it's good info for me too.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Top Dog

I've never had a min pin, but I do have Manchester Terrier who look similar--so thats what everyone thinks my dog is LOL! You mentioned about min pin forums etc---I just did a search of yahoo groups and there are several dedicated to Min Pins--I didn't look to see how active, but I'm sure you can join them and get some good info from fellow owners. There are 2 yahoo groups for Manchesters, which are kind of rare-- so I knew there would be plenty for Min pins!. Just go to the Yahoo home page, click on "Groups" then type in miniature pinschers in the search bar and you should be all set. Good luck--and I'm sure your new additon will be adorable--it just sounds like she might need lots of exercise!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Squishy face

This national rescue has some information, it might be useful:
http://www.minpinrescue.org/

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

There was one in an obedience class I took, and he was absolutely adorable. He wasn't nervous, but he was active. He loved the other dogs. I haven't been around any others. I know someone who has a couple, and she liked the first one enough to get a second one!!

The min pin in our obedience class was a class favorite of everybody.....just as cute as could be. NOT a biter. Other people were having trouble in the class with this issue, but not him.

I knew a Boston terrier once who fits everyone's description of the min pin in this thread!! (I love Boston terriers despite the fact that this one was a complete terror).
Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Twin 2.0

I know multiple Boston Terrors that fit the descriptions on this thread, lol! They're all petstore pups though, so it kind of explains things.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Uffda!

Well, Joey can definitely be hyper.....but he can also be a little snuggle bunny if I feel like sleeping in. He's pretty good at adapting to my mood. I'm having the current owner take in the Min Pin today to get spayed and shots(of course I'm footing to bill and all). So everyone keep Bridget in your thoughts!

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 08-22-2007, 02:11 PM
koda bear

Ive never had one or know very much about the breed but the last time we went to the dog park she was playing with a min pin and it was a little dominant and he kinda bit her on the nose needless to. My dogs nose was bleeding and the owner really dident give a crap im not about to go back there.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Squishy22

Mine LOVED to chase things whether it be a leaf blowing in the breeze, a fly, a cat, or even other dogs. Bad habit, but min pins were bred to be ratters. Correct me if I am wrong.