Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Big Dog

Default Hot Spots

I know this is probably on Chaz a billion places, but I thought I would post and ask anyway. Besides, I haven't talk to my mom today and thought I would say Hi to her as this is the only way I see her anymore...on Chaz!

Hi Grammy!

Seger is 6.5 months old, and I forgot how bad hot spots can get on Golden Retrievers. Its under his ear, and is wet. We are taking him in to the vet tomorrow, but what do you use on hot spots? How to prevent? Should we get allergy tests?

thanks!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Well now !!! We connect here !!! I know he's on flea and tick stuff and that's usually what caused our hot spots . Clip the hair tonight and apply an antiseptic powder until you vet tomorrow . I'm sure more will add inputs here . Give him a hug from Grammy !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Chihuahua Power!

What kind of food is Seger being fed? The first thing that I would rule out would be food allergies.

He is such a cutie, by the way!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Big Dog

Default Back from the vet....

she said that she is worried as it popped up so fast and is so bad, that she thinks it might be allergies, which are hereditary so I am checking with the breeder. She gave him cortizone and recommended white vinegar and water solution 10%. He gets neutered on Tuesday so if it isn't better she is also going to check for allergies.

He is fed the same food since birth......Eagle Pack Holistic Select, but will check with her on that too.

I hadn't heard of the vinegar solution before though!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Hot spots mostly arise from scratching/rubbing an intense irritation - that is the physical damage is self inflicted and then all the skin bacteria climb in and have a wonderful time.
Allergies, food etc are all possibilities but my number one would be an ear infection or mites given its location.

Anyone look down the ear canal?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Vet is the best solution, they will figure it out. Sounds likehe is on a good food, does he have fleas that he might have scratched and irritated the spot? Good luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:28 PM
<< My baby girl, Pinkie

After years of going thru hotspots on both my cats & dogs, I now use a cortisone spray that you can find in any pet store - I use Corti-Care by 8in1. If you get that on them soon enough, that'll take care of it usually. If it's oozing already, I'll put some Neosporin on it, too. I only take them to the vets if it gets to the point of bloody discharge or visible infection.

I love my critters to death, thank God for them everyday, and can't live without at least one. I need them as much as they need me, and have found they're much better than husbands!!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
But please, call me Barb

Dante has a flea allergy and will get a giant, ugly hot spot above his tail
The best I've found is a 50/50 solution of Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and water.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Big Dog

Default It's getting better and more info...

the breeder said no allergies in her line, and the spot in confined to one area behind the ear, in front of the collar.

He is one prednisone and Gentocin spray and he is quite upset as there were LAKE PLANS for this weekend, but alas, he can not swim yet....sigh.

Maybe, with a hair dryer, it is still a possibility? He is begging....momma asked if he can dry his hair by himself and he said no.......sigh.....Maybe Nash can do it.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

Hope he can go !!! But if not , Grammy's here !! I'm sure if it's clipped short enough , there'll be no problem .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/