Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Why Does He Do This To ME?!?

Rocky's so weird!

Well, I went to my friend's house to spend the night, right?

Well, my Rocky is always all over-enthusiastic and hyperly always jumping around and nipping. Apparently, he's only like that when I'm around.

My dad always tells me this when I come home from school or after I've been gone to a friend's house or something.

"He acts like such a little angel when you're not there. Very obedient and not hyper at all."

WHY DOESN'T HE DO THIS AROUND ME?!

I'm baffled...
Old 06-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

Well if I would put on my "Dog Whisper" hat I would say that he feels more dominant around you. With out seeing you interact and not being an expert it is only my humble opinion but I would say he is really excited to see you but feels that he is at least your equal.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

BigDog -- I think I know what might be going on. When you get home, do you excite him and play with him? If so, they get conditioned to that and he will see you and think "OH BOY! OH BOY! IT'S TIME TO PLAY PLAY PLAY AND BE WILD!"

Try a different approach (and know he won't change overnight). Try just spending quiet time with him when you first get home. Reassure him that you're home and are there for him and get into a routine. Like, when I first got Hunter, the first thing I would do is take him out front and throw the ball for him over and over again. I found that I had conditioned him to be really hyper upon my arrival -- anticipating this play time. Then, upon figuring this out, I started downplaying my arrival. I would love on him quietly, but go about my business. Get online, he would be by my side and I'd love on him quietly. Then I'd feed him. Later on I'd walk him and maybe throw the ball then. It's worked out very well. He now knows it's not time to go completely nutz when I get home! And he's settled down afterwards knowing our "routine" and that he'll get his time (on MY time!) Lol...
Old 06-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Big German Shepherd

Yeah, I understand.

I really hope he's not getting dominant.

I'm almost ALWAYS doing NILIF training with him and obedience training. And actually the first thing I do when I get home usually is take him out to use the bathroom, pet him and stuff for a few seconds and then I go in my room and he usually follows or leads... and jumps on my bed, and play with his bone maybe.

What I meant was, he's not like hyper-active but he acts differently.

Ok here's him with my dad:

Acting somewhat shy and extremely obedient. Never nips. Very quiet. Being a good boy and playing and biting with his toy and not my (my dad's) hands or feet.

When I'm there:

Loves to play. Not as quiet at all. Nips a lot, not a lot since I've been working on it but a lot more ya know, not as shy.

I hope it's a little more understanding now.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Felurian

He's a lot more attached to you, DoggyDaddy. The grrrrls are a lot quieter around Charley and make a huge fuss over me. Almost overwhelming sometimes, but they run right past him to get to me if we come home at the same time. He's finally gotten used to it. It drove him nuts with Buffy though - it really bugged him. He's working on cultivating more affection from these two now though - even Kharma who runs a distant second behind Shiva for him, so I guess it does get under his skin a bit still.

I think maybe you've got the same kind of thing going on. If you'll follow EliNHunter's good advice you'll keep the attachment but have a little more calm.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Boxer Lover

Try simply keeping your dog on a leash while you're at home for awhile. If it starts jumping up, form a "U" with the leash and put your foot in the middle of it, so that when he trys to jump up, he is pulled back down. That helped for us.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Felurian

DoggyDaddy - do not, DO NOT do that with Rocky. You'll undo your hard work. You can't bully a German Shepherd and expect anything good to come of it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

Couldn't have said it better myself, Renee. Sometimes things that look like elegant solutions are in truth just gateways to more problems. Please don't undo all the things we've worked on, DoggyDaddy. You're doing so well!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Big German Shepherd

I do keep him on a leash at home whenever I'm working on a project or I had a friend over for a while that was deathly scared of him, etc.

But I trust Renee's and Creature Teacher's advice. I'm not going to hurt my dog like that.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:03 AM

I'm soooooo glad you are sticking with the advice of Renee and CT. I sure don't like that leash/jumping idea at all. I KNOW everything I've learned from Renee and CT has worked beautifully. I just can't ever imagine being so rough with my dogs, it just isn't the way to go. GOOD FOR YOU, Big!!!!!!!!!!!!