Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Crazy!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Top Dog

i've run into a few people wher eyou say dog attack or dog bite. doesn't matter what the dog looks like or what it is. in their mind it is automatically a pit

Old 08-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I would have pointed out that the dog on the old TV show the lil rascals was a pittie. And back then they were considered the ultimate family dog. That usually gets people thinking.
I always bring that up in the "Pitbulls are monsters" debates with people who are hard headed. Just like now Labs and Goldens are considered the great family pets and how Collies were pretty popular at one point. Breeds go through phases. I just hope this pitbulls are bad is just a phase too.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon'smom View Post
is it even possible that Only ONE type of dog is bad? and all others are good?
I think its the trainer, not the dog, that develops the personality. know what i mean?
I agree, I am sure some individual dogs are more prone to being agdreesive than others but that goes for all breeds not just pits, and then I feel its how the owner/trainer nurtures that personality. I have never owned a pit but have been around a few before, even a female that had recently had a litter of puppies and she was the friendliest dog, just wanted to be pet.

"Life's a mountain, not a beach!"
Old 08-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

My new point to people who argue about how vicious pit bulls are is if pit bulls are so vicious then how did someone walk into my back yard and steal my pit bull? Maybe Ani just missed the memo *l*

And how come I have volunteered at a shelter for 2 years now and I have NEVER been bitten by a pit bull and I have only met one who I could not get close to or was afraid of. (I have also met shep mixes, lab mixes, rotties, goldens that I would not go near either and that frightened me). I have seen pits scarred from head to foot, yet they are more than happy to offer you a wagging tail and a lick. I have seen pits too skinny to even stand up, the only effort they can put forth is just wagging their tail and lifting their head up the slightest bit to invite you to pet them. Ani, my little girl, was beaten before I got her, who knows what else happened to her, yet she is still a happy, loving dog who would never, ever bite anyone.

Pit bulls are dogs, that is what I try to tell people. They are not horrible monsters or child eaters or inherinatly (sp?) aggressive, they are dogs.

Hehe, I guess I ranted a little too. It just upsets me. I try to educate people too. I dont know if I get through to them or not, but we at least need to try even if they make us pull our hair out *l*
Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
overdogged

*shaking head*

that's some kind of insult... you... you DOG LOVER YOU!!!

thanks for trying!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-18-2007, 03:19 PM
and Spy.

Yup, people imediately write me off if I try and educate them because:

One, I am a teen (and of course teens are just hot headed and hormonal, they don't know anything )

Two, Because I love dogs and am thus biased.

*sigh*

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
not so newby

What really got me is that she doesn't and has never owned a dog...so she has absolutely no clue what dogs are about. But she still thinks that she's the upmost authority on dogs...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Jerk.

If its reported on CNN it must be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 08-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

A lot of times it's the type of people who are attracted to pit breeds that cause those types of stereotypes. Many people who seek out pitts are likely to train them as fight dogs or guard dogs (the kind that attack intruders.) In the state where I live I see so many people in bad, dangerous parts of town who all seem so own pitt breeds or rotties and they will openly talk about how it's a "fight dog" or others own them to scare away unwelcome people to keep their drug businesses from getting busted. I think that people who seeks out these breeds and train them to be agressive are a big reason for this reputation.