Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 PM
not so newby

Angry you only like pits because your a dog lover

A coworker came into my office today and started reading an article in the local paper about a boy that was killed by a pit. (granted this dog shouldn't have been around children, it had a history of dog bites and was CHAINED in the basement ) anyway, after she gets done reading the paper she makes a comment about how people are stupid for having those kinds of dogs around kids.

So being me I asked "those" kinds of dogs? She says yes, Pit Bulls, they are the most aggressive dogs around and are more likely to go for the throat than a Chi is. I laughed at her and told her that just wasn't true, that Pits are wonderful dogs, very affectionate and intelligent. She continues to tell me that she's read all sorts of articles in the paper about how dangerous Pits are and that they are always the ones who attack their owners. They are more likely to bite some one than a Golden is. Don't try to tell her that it's the owners fault not the dogs, it's always the dogs fault. They were bred to be aggressive. I said they can be dog aggressive but are not bred to be human aggressive. I told her that all dogs are capable of being aggressive and can do as much damage as the other can.

Clearly seeing that she's talking to some one who is educated about Pitties, she tells me that I'm only sticking up for them because I'm a dog lover.. She went on to try and tell me about all the attacks and the stats. I told her that those are skewed because most people misclassify dogs. One of the dogs here that had attacked a child was said to have been a Pit when it was really a Mastiff.

Just drives me crazy how ignorant and missinformed people are about these dogs. She didn't even want to read all the information that I pulled up for her online proving her wrong in her rant.

End of rant...sorry for the long b!cthing
Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Just try me..

I would have pointed out that the dog on the old TV show the lil rascals was a pittie. And back then they were considered the ultimate family dog. That usually gets people thinking.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Puppy Dog

is it even possible that Only ONE type of dog is bad? and all others are good?
I think its the trainer, not the dog, that develops the personality. know what i mean?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Some people can be so fusterating. I can't wait to get back to school and find every anti-pit buller in my school and try to reason with them. I've managed to convert a few of my friends so converting someone who doesn't really know me should be easy. (I'm a nerd, everything that comes from my mouth is taken as true ^_^)
Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Haha, Celtic......then I guess we need more nerds in the world LMAO. Thank you for trying to change peoples perceptives of bullys.

I know exactly how frusterating it can be. People get all their information from the media and will believe every word of it. Someone that is ACTUALLY EDUCATED in that area trys to explain that the media is wrong, and they think you are wonky!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 PM
not so newby

The more I kept trying to tell her the more she kept saying I'm saying that because I'm a dog lover...DUH!!!...I'm also an educated dog lover who finds it hard to swallow all the media hype. She got upset when she said it's true look it up online and see what you find. The first sight listed was wikipedia, it dispelled everything she was spewing at me, she wouldn't even read that.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Dafuq?

The dog was chained in the basement, had previously bitten two people, and was near a litter he'd sired and the dam who'd whelped it. An accident waiting to happen.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Takes all kinds. I hate know it alls.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
not so newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
The dog was chained in the basement, had previously bitten two people, and was near a litter he'd sired and the dam who'd whelped it. An accident waiting to happen.

And according to her it was the dogs fault, not the owners...
Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Squishy22

There was a boy attacked by a dog in arizona a few years ago. He was completely scalped. It was on the news. The anchor woman said it was a pit bull. About 20 minutes later she corrected herself and said that it was really a german shepherd. How could you possibly misidentify a shepherd for a pit bull? Just crazy!