Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Breeds good around small animals?

I know no dog is really "GOOD" around small animals, But what breeds are less likely to want to kill everything they see? After the beagle passes on sometime, I want to get another dog to train as a service dog instead of him. I like bostons but how are they as far as other critters? I would like to stay with a smaller (AKA Easier to feed!) dog...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Active Pup

Hi,

Generall small dog breeds are easy to trained as compared to large dog breeds. visit here for more info at www.dogbreedscenter.net
Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Top Dog

Uhm it's easier to say what to exclude. I'd never trust a terrier, most sighthounds probably aren't your best bet though I've seen greyhound rescue sites where the dogs are evaluated and some individuals are said to be fine with cats.

I'd exclude most hounds, most toy dogs might be fine with small animals I'm not sure about bostons in particular though. Smaller herding dogs like shelties are really trainable so you could work with them to leave the other critters alone. And it depends on individuals of course, so talk to your breeder or rescue group whichever you decide to go with
Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 AM
Let it be

I'd suggest a sheltie. I had one growing up and have always had a ton of small pets (cats, rodents, rabbits ect). She was actually extremely good with them. I'm not sure if that's rare or not but she use to walk around with my mouse on her head, cuddle the rabbits and G pigs, and follow the hamster around in his ball. She was excellent with other dogs and children. Not good with cats but we didn't have cats when we had her. I took care of a kitten once and she was a dream with that. Never taught anything more then sit and shake a paw but she was actually extremely well behaved. A bit of a yapper though.

Shelties are good dogs. Even better if you put some work into them.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:29 AM
BusterLove

I actually don't know. But I'd steer clear of sighthounds terriers and any working breeds known to have high drive (ACD, GSD, Husky etc)

Maybe a maltese? Yes, i'm biased, them and silky terriers are the only small fluffy breeds i like.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm All Ears

Papillons are really good around small animals in general. Mine are fine with my chinchilla when she's out of her cage.

Shelties are okay with them. Just speaking from personal experience. Trey would be absolutely fine, but Nikki would not be. (I've mentioned Nikki's obsession with small animals before)
Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel maybe.
You know he's on the level.
~Author Unknown

I don't whisper - I translate!

Paws for Praise - Make a Tail Wag!
http://www.pawsforpraise.com
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesanderson View Post
Hi,

Generall small dog breeds are easy to trained as compared to large dog breeds. visit here for more info at www.dogbreedscenter.net
That's not necassarily true.... in fact, I've heard more people complain about problems training small dogs than large, especially housetraining.

My Boxer is great with small animals, but with Boxers it definitely depends on the individual, we get some in who are dedicated cat killers and others who, like mine, adore small animals and are very motherly towards them.

Anything with 'terrier' in the name, might have a higher prey. Most terriers are made to kill small animals. They are good at it, too.

Rescue Boxers are Adoptable Love
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Yep Terriers I know are off limits!!! But bostons do not have much of the terrier personality from my experience meeting them?

I mean my beagle, Given the chance, Will chase something. But he isn't constantly pacing at the bird/iguana/little critter cage like some dogs do. I can stand how he is, as long as it's in the cage no biggie :-)

What about doxies, Or Poodles I think were mentioned?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Twin 2.0

Doxies have a prey drive as well, they're essentially terriers.

I'd say Cavalier King Charles or Paillion. Maybe American Eskimo.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!