Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
woof!

Question shih tzus?

In the last thread they suggested me shih tzus as a posible breed for me http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59324

I never had a long haired dog before, but looks like it will be the same in grooming time if I choose an american cocker since cockers have twice the size of shi tzus.

In the dog expo I went today I toched one and in love whit shih the hair is so soft

But I whant to know if they can tolare heat, how many exersice they need and how active they are.

How the persolality compares with similar breeds like maltese, bichon frise and pekingeses??

And I read they can be stubborn, but how mush? in a web page they say is like a cat. I had a cat before and I she was lovely, but I don't think shih tzus scrash furniture like cats do LOL
Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

They do not handle heat well. They are independent but relatively easy to train. If grooming worries you then you can get her clipped short. They do not need much exercise, one walk and some play keeps my Uncle's dog happy. I have never met those other breeds so can not be of help there.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Obessed with Dogs

I have met some in my life time! They're lap dogs toy group breeds, they're prone to gain weight and are not the brightest souls LOL

I can give you suggest sites! I'd do lot of research about this breed, they do need grooming requirement as well, only need to be walked around the block and that's it b/c of the size they are

http://www.akc.org/breeds/shih_tzu/

http://www.shihtzu.org/

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/breeding.htm#breeding

If you still wanting this breed please do not buy from the pet shop, go to your rescue location if they have any available be sure to buy from a reputable breeder do not buy from newpaper either

Frankie's Myspace - Misty's Memorial Blog
Lacey ~ Misty
Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Golden Love

When it comes to training they can be stubborn and as the above poster stated, they aren't always that bright. However, that's okay because they are incredibly loving.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Top Dog

That's odd I trained Phoebe tons of stuff and it was very easy each trick took no more than three training sessions for her to do right every time with the hand signal. She learned the name of all her toys without anybody trying to teach her. Guess we got lucky lol.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i would NEVER say shi-tzus are "not bright" they are infact VERY inteligent...they just have a tendency to be stubborn sometimes making them difficult to train, because of this they get labeld as "none so bright" and there realy not...

MOST toy breeds are the same when it comes to this attitude.

ive found when it comes to 99***37; of toy breeds the ONLY thing ive found difficult to train into them is housebreaking, toy breeds can be notoriously difficutl to house break, you need to be extra diligent with a toy breed because simply, when a 300lbs mastif crouches to pee you NOTICE...but when a 3lb shitzu puppy crouches, its not quite as easy a sighn to see lol
Crate training or otherwise "restricted acess" training is the easiest way to housebreak a small breed.

Socilization is VERY important in these small breeds too as is obedience training. it gives them the confidence to be happy well rounded Dogs instead of having a neopolian complex.

and other trainign is simple...find the thing that motivates them...Vixie will do anything for a treat...Ruby prefers a good loving and fuss, Rosie loves to be rewarded with a game of fetch and Dodger and charlie do it because "hey i get a happy voice! yay"

As a breed, the shitzus ive met tend to be sweet dogs, they seem about mid level interms of potential for barking, there not known to be yappers but can bark exsessivly if not trained properly...

watch for bad teeth/missalighned jaws, underbites and overbites are prominent in badly bred members of the breed, and they are prone to retained baby teeth, an easy pull when under for spay/neuter.

watch for weight gain, alot of people spoil these dogs and they do tend to like people food, a round shitzu is not a happy shitzu

do NOT spoil this breed (or any toy breed) you can pamper them a little, but train using a NILF program, and do confidence building excersizes to encouragh a happy well balanced dog rather than a neurotic crazy monster.

Grooming is a big one. in full coat a good comb out every day is needed, regular trimming of the long coat, sanitaty and facial trims are important. Nails are also important with this breed, they tend to grow FAST, keep ontop of clipping nails, brushing teeth, and cleaning ears.
If you dont want the upkeep on the coat, clip into a simple puppycut and comb through once a week...

good luck

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM
woof!

Thanks for the info guys, They seem to be a good option for me.

I stared to make contact whith the man that owns the shih tzu and cockers at the expo.

Whatever the breed I choose I plan to socialite it with the dogs that my family have and take it to places with many people so is not goin to be scared of humans.

I met some small dogs before that where very spoiled, and I just got a mag that have tips to prevent having a cranky little dog.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Obessed with Dogs

Good for you. Can't wait for update & pictures

Frankie's Myspace - Misty's Memorial Blog
Lacey ~ Misty
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Twin 2.0

I just beg and plead that you socialize the living daylights out it, because I have met more than my fair share of evil-tempered shih tzus. The two breeds that regularly snap at me are in fact shih-tzus and Lhasa Apsos. It's getting hard to tell them apart anymore, thanks to the BYB's and pet stores up here.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Top Dog

Yes I agree with Zoom. Phoebe had little to no socialization with people and has tried to bite several people and has succeeded a few times.