Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Default What does it take...

To own a Pit bull breed? I've been thinking about what breeds I might want in the future, have asked you guys and Pit Bulls never come up on my list. It's probably because I always ask for a dog friendly breed and I know it is common for Pit Bulls to be DA. But heck, maybe I'll just get one, it's fine with me as long as I have a dog who i can love. Or I could do what many of you do and just keep them separated while they can't be watched. I also say i want a large dog but they can be large (they will not be from breeders, they will be shelter dogs). I know you have to take a lot of $h!t from people but i almost want to as i walk my beautiful, well behaved, obedient dog by my side.

other than that what are these breeds like? Energy, training, with cats, with kids, with strangers etc. Grooming requirements, common health problems and any other personality things about them. Also is there any difference in temperament between the three most common pit Bull breeds (Amstaff, APBT, Staffys)?

I've really been considering them for my next dog (keep in mind I'm 15, we got a lot of years before I'm through high school, college and able to support a dog on my own).

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
woof!

My pit bull Turok was very obidient and he was lazy.

He was very alert of strangers, and bark harder and harder as they came near.

He was very sweet and loved to play, and easy to groom.

Since you have 15, I recomed to ask a expericed trainer to train it since they are really strong even as puppies and can easily pull you in a walk, they are going to walk you if they are not well trained and not the vise versa

He had some dominance troubles with our GSD/malinois since the shephedr mix was extremely nervious and dominant and he always whanted to dominate other dogs by jumping over them, and the pit didn't like that, but they never fighted.

That's the only experience I had until he had to be taken uotside of the city to my dad's farm 'cause the breed banning, but when he was there, he wasen't agresive with other dogs. (it was only wit the shepherd)

*edit* I think a pit bull is better for an adult person 'cause how strong they are.

Also you can try by asking a person that has one to walk it a little and see if you can manage it.

Last edited by Sapphire-Light; 08-10-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Twin 2.0

A very thick skin (for public opinion) and some strong arm muscles. And the ability to discern between "oh, he's just playing" and "your dog is about to be lunch". Which I think you know how to do already.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
A very thick skin (for public opinion) and some strong arm muscles. And the ability to discern between "oh, he's just playing" and "your dog is about to be lunch". Which I think you know how to do already.
I can do all that I'm sure. Just have to keep myself from punching someone in the face is all. As far as their strength, you should have seen Max, he was Strong and had no leash manners (I didn't try hard enough, I felt stupid stopping every two steps on out walks but I will never make that mistake again, I don't care what anyone thinks seeing me). I was the only one who could walk him except my dad but my dad thought it was appropriate to yank the choke chain over and over and hit Max with the leash when he got frustrated with his pulling. Yeah Dad that worked Anyway I think I can handle all that. I'm good with dog body language for the most part, I have to read some more books though, particularly with clashing signals (showing some aggressive body language but also some fear etc.) but by the time I get a dog I expect to know what I'm doing.

Quote:
*edit* I think a pit bull is better for an adult person 'cause how strong they are.

Also you can try by asking a person that has one to walk it a little and see if you can manage it.
I won't be getting the dog until I am an adult, I'm just thinking ahead is all. I still think I could handle one though, I wish one of my friends had a Pit Bull I could meet, but none of them do. I have met the neighbor's mix and the people's down the street when she was a puppy.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Show Dog

At 15, I wouldn't be worrying too much about future dogs. Specific breeds, anyway. A lot can happen between now and then.

I do not have much experience with Pit Bull's but I do with Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies). I think they are great dogs but you have to realise their potential for dog aggression. They are not the breed for everyone.

Aside from potential of dog aggression as an owner of one of these breeds you must also be willing to accept the negative stigma that is attached to them.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Top Dog

Fantasizing about future dog is really all I have right now (sad I know), I'm dogless and will be until I'm out of college. I figured learning now wouldn't hurt, plus i would know if they are really what I want. I know my living situation will change and if it would not be good for a Pit Bull then I won't get one. I have grown to like them so much more since being here on Chaz. I will be able to handle the negative things said I think, I'll go to a state with little chance of BSL (which will also change by the time I can get a dog). As of now I like them and think I could own one, if that changes then I'll look into other breed. As of now it's something I can occupy my time with,researching these breeds. I like to think about the future

Old 08-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Some have prey drive and can't live with cats, some are fine with cats. I googled around and Pit Bull Rescue Central recommends not letting the dogs play with the cats (too easy for them to hurt the cats by accident), but to allow gentle licking, sniffing, and sleeping together.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Dafuq?

I don't find the breed that difficult to own, but then again, I've been around them for years. You just have to have reasonable expectations, and know beforehand what these dogs are, and what they aren't. I also recommend you have a reason for wanting a dog with that kind of drive, like some kind of sport. It establishes a much healthier relationship to have your dog working for/with you. Not everybody does licensed competition; you can improvise a job for the dog to do.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

I'm on the fence here . Having dogs before children , I never wanted a breed that I might have to give up after a family . I really admire all you pitty owners here ....especially the rescued one . There are too many put down all over because of bad breeders and owners .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I also recommend you have a reason for wanting a dog with that kind of drive, like some kind of sport
Yeah I would be willing to do a sport with him. what sort of sports do they generally like/excel in?