Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Active Pup

Default Whats the right breed for me?

I've been researching and different breeds and was wondering if anyone could help.. I already have a dog (beagle) and cat but my sister is leaving for college in two weeks and we decided that around christmas would be a good time to add a new addition to the family. Other than me [I'm 15 =)] and my mom theres no one (besides the animals) in the house. We have a pretty good size yard its about an acre.. and part of it around the pool is fenced in. I am looking for a big dog.. one that looks elegant, is known to be smart, loves attention, doesn't shed a lot, loves other animals, somewhat easy to train, possibly to be trained as a guard dog, and there is a good chance that the dog will be be competeing in either agility, the show ring, or something else. If you need to know more just ask..
Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Maybe a standard poodle? They're elegant, don't shed, VERY intelligent, and I imagine they would bark at intruders.

I would recommend waiting until a few weeks after Christmas before getting a new dog . . . the reason being that all the hustle and bustle around Christmas time can be very stressful on a dog. Moving to a new home is stressful enough!

Are you familiar with how to choose a good breeder instead of a backyard breeder? If not, you can learn here. It's especially important if you want to show your dog.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Active Pup

I know all about back yard breeders and puppymills and to never buy from pet stores.. my neighbor used to breed, show, and train dogs.. I've also done my research.. I'm just trying to look for the right breed that will go with my family.. As for christmas.. the only crazy day is the day after and even then its just my cousins coming.. the youngest of the three is almost 10 and they are pretty mature so I don't think stress will be a problem.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Puppy Dog

Hmm, first thought that popped into my head was Great Dane. The only things that wouldn't suit your lifestyle would be a guard dog and agility. I've not yet met a Great Dane that would be good for either of those. But it's intelligent, looks elegant, loves attention, sheds barely at all, loves other animals, and is easy to train.

Another breed would be a Borzoi. It as well matches all of your needs, except for guard dog, and low shedding. (since it has a long coat.)

Here's a Great Dane....

And a borzoi.

Thankyou Spiritus!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the pics and info. I think the great dane might be a tad bit too big.. And the Borzoi-- if it sheds it probably won't go well.. I'll google it though and check it outtt.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I run with scissors

I would not recommend a Borzoi unless you have a LOT of dog experience. They are very smart but tend to not care a lot about pleasing people so can be difficult to train. They also do not typically do well around cats so you would have to be very very careful to make sure it was well-socialized with cats from puppyhood.

I second the standard poodle. If it weren't for the shedding thing, I would say German Shepherd.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

I agree with standard poodle, low shedding large dogs are hard to find I think...

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Active Pup

Thanks, does anyone have a standard poodle? I want to ask some questions and whatever.. I also e-mailed a local breed club and asked if they could refer me to a breeder that I could talk to and probably meet with.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Dafuq?

What about something like a Rhodesian Ridgeback or Doberman Pinscher?

I would like to comment on the Christmas thing as well. If you find a good breeder, chances are they wont have a litter right when you're looking for a puppy, so be prepared to wait.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

I know Lizmo and Poodle'smommy have poodles, we probably have more with them but I can't remember who.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!