Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Big Dog

Default Playing alone

Hi

Do your dogs play with their toys alone. I mean when they are inside do they pick up a toy and play with it. Magic has lots of toys but she doesn't play with them unless we instigate the play. It seems so sad thay the toys lay on the floor and she ignores them unless we start something by picking one up. I'd like to try to teach her to play by herself but don't know how to go about it. Not to take away from our play times together, just to give her more opportunity to enjoy herself with her toys when we are occupied elsewhere.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Lucas will do that sometimes. He will just grab a toy and toss it in the yard and run after it and do it all over again. Chloe doesn't seem that interested in it. She only really plays with toys when we are or if she is playing with Lucas. I don't know how you could make Magic play with toys by herself. Lucas just has always done it.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

Princess will play alone, well she doesnt have to so much anymore now that she has gracie. She would take a toy, toss it in the air then run after it, shake it, toss it and run after it again. Outside she will run circles around thing like she's pretending to be in a race, running a circle 8. We also have a old basketball outside she'l push it around the yard.
She started getting depressed acting unless my grandaughter was here to play with her. She got so she would rarely play alone, this is when we got her a playmate. Now she runs around with what looks like a smile.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

Eikon, my puppy, plays alone sometimes. Usually when he's alone, he'd sleep until we're with him again. Or, he'd just walk around and investigate things, and find some new, interesting things to chew on!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

Chip will play by himself... usually with a ball he tries to roll under something which he can't retrieve.....then it's call Mommy into the play. ! He likes his bones and his woobies.....which he will toss and roll on. But most of the time, he's just a couch potato !
Old 06-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Felurian

She might be more inclined to play alone with something that's more interactive, like a puzzle ball.

Shiva will play alone, but the other two really don't. Come to think of it, they really don't get a chance. If someone starts to play, Shiva wants in on the game, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

my pups 8 weeks, and if i dont play with him with his tiys he wont play with them either just go under the couch and sleep, i dont take it as a big deal, they'll both have to learn that i am not there 24/7 for if i was and i did leave he may get anxiety, see right now im upstairs leaving him downstairs it is up to him whether he wants to have fun or not
Old 06-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Bear never plays alone either. He will grab a toy (HAS to have a squeeker or he's not interested) and he will look at us. Then we have to jump up and try to grab the toy from him. He will race around the room joyfully. But soon as we stop trying to get him it from him, he drops it and goes and lays down.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

wow our dogs think alike "great minds think alike" lol
Old 06-03-2005, 02:59 PM

mine don't play with toys by themselves...they pick it up and bring it to us. Addie used to have a blanket that she would toss around the yard by herself, but she grew out of that......which is sad, cause I loved watching her, it was tooooo cute! course, mine have each other...so when we aren't able to play, they play with each other.