Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Active Pup

Default Food Quirk

My dalmatian/border collie likes to take mouthfuls of his food from the bowl and carry it away ten feet to eat it. Is he nuts or is this a common practice with dogs?

http://www.clubphoto.com/reward.php?...smo992010&pwd=
Old 06-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Both of my dogs do that too. At first I thought they just didn't like the kitchen floor (where the food is at righ now) So I moved the bowls to the carpeted area, but they still did it. I don't know what it is, but I think its cute
Old 06-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

lol, that's what my cat does.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Big Dog

When I give my parent's retriever a treat, bone, toy, etc, he always carries it to a corner to eat, as if he's 'shy' about eating in front of people. He's not a timid dog at all an is never possessive of things, it's just kind of a similar quirk to what you described. I honestly don't know how to explain, but I do think it's a common behavior. Who knows what goes on in those furry heads sometimes.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

my old old dog used to that. he i think thought i would take it from him. its not a big deal but if you want it changed feed him yummy treats from ur hand, so he knows you wont take his food but give him better food
Old 06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Felurian

Buffy used to eat a bit out of her bowl, then she'd tip it over and dump the food out, scoop it all together in a pile with her nose and flip the bowl over - upside down - on top of it!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM

my dogs did that with their food when they were puppies, now...they thankfully eat it at the dish. My Addie, tho, will take a dog biscuit to the furthest corner..put it between her paws and savor every bite. She DOES prefer carpet for the munching. My Ham eats them so fast.....leaves my head swimming. LOL I bet it's pretty common.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

We had a dog that use to do that. Princess just carries her bowl off to another room or outside sometimes leaving a trail behind her.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:58 PM
boxers-r-us

Tyson and Princess are bad for that too. Mostly Princess. Their problem is they're afraid they're gonna miss something. I feed them in the kitchen. If I'm in there with them they'll eat right at their bowl (messiest eaters I've ever seen but beats them tracking it all over the house). If i'm in the living room watching tv or in the bathroom fixing my hair or something she'll take a bite and go to wherever I'm at to eat it...go back and grab another bite...come to where i'm at and eat it...on and on and on till she's done. She doesn't want to miss a thing!