Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Your dog is a BIG dog in a LITTLE dog's suit (in his mind). He does need socialized with those other big dogs in the park. You'll be happier with the outcome...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

yea i squat and hes a jack russell pom mix...weird eh? well yea thatss a good idea becca i have one friend with a doberman,,,, but hes a little aggressif so i onno if hes the best i was thinking introducing him to little dogs, then bigger then bigger at the dog park. and just keep putting him up to big dogs so he gets used to it... hopefullly the dog park will work out
Old 06-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

thats true ellinhunter i think he is... lol...ill keep u guys posted after his first time at the dog park and tell you how he did
Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

I wouldnt stop going to the dog park. I was just thinking if you had a friend with a dog you could introduce the two, let them get to know each and play, still taking your dog to the park and maybe it'd help your puppy understand its ok. I wish we had a dog park around here.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Big Dog

oh i think he will change and to the person that said he is mean tell him be quiet and shut ur mouth
Old 06-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Top Dog

Default dog parks

I think you should avoid the dog park for now. You should probably enroll him in a dog training class. That way there will be other dogs around but they will be restained. If the dog park you're talking about is an "off leash" park, your poor little dog is going to be overwhelmed. Introduce him to other dogs gradually.
I have a 3 month old puppy and she is afraid of almost every dog she sees (and especially big ones) except for my neighbors' Pug...which is funny because her mother is a Pug. I got her when she was 7 weeks old so it's weird she would "remember" that.
Anyway, good luck!

Pam
Old 06-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Active Pup

Another thing do not to your dog its alright when he growls or goes to bite another dog you are just saying its alright for him to do it.Try moving slowly with socializing him if you have a friend that owns a dog a small one and get him used to being around other dogs.You and your friend take a walk together and take your dogs.What you should do is keep them apart like you and your friend walk beside on another while the dogs are on the outside of you both.As your dog gets used to walking with another dog around slowly make it so there walking closer to one another.If he growls tell him "NO dogs name" to let him know its not alright to growl or attack other dogs.This will teach him its not alright and will start behaving himself around other dogs.If you don't get him used to being around other dogs you will not be able to get another dog if you wanted one.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

First, I would never EVER take a young puppy to a dog park. That is a prime location to pick up PARVO! If you do take your pup, don't let him on the ground until he has completed ALL of his vaccinations which usually consists of a series of 3-4 vaccinations over about 3-4 months time! Take your puppy to the homes of your friends and family. Let the pup meet those dogs first. Don't expect too much from your pup while it's this young. I commend you for trying to socialize early and I think that is great! The best thing you can do for your little guy is not coddle/cuddle your pup when it seems fearful or aggressive...to a dog, this just gives it reassurance that it is ok for it to act that way. When my dogs act fearful or unsure, I use a happy voice and encourage them verbally to check things out. I say things like "who is it?" or "what is it?" In a high pitched, happy and brave tone of voice. I never console though...I would ignore before I would console. So many small dogs are cuddled and protected too much to the point that they grow up to be aggressive and too demanding. At 12 weeks take your puppy to a puppy class and they will help you through it...not to mention, your pup will get to play with other pups it's age and size which helps build confidence and social skills down the road.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

i tell him no when he growls, and becca yea i will still do the dog park thing...but maybe ill do the training thing first i onno
ill think of something... i am not going to tolerate him being mean to other dogs so...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

LEA--that is good. I think you will catch on fast and be a great leader for him My puppy started puppy pre-school last night and let me tell you, you will have a blast!! Where I take my pup, they let all the pups off leash and they all romp and play together. There was a aussie puppy and a chi puppy that were not too sure of playing with the others, so they got their own pen in the middle of it all so they could watch and observe without being bombarded. The hope is, is that by the end of the six weeks they will want to join in You will have a blast at puppy school, TRUST ME