Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

Default pissed off

i brang my chihuahua sized dog to the park today. hes great with kids and people but growls at other dogs and backs away...is obviously scared and and is defending himself. hes 8 weeks and im puposely trying to introduce him to dogs cuz hes not great with them yet.
well one man was walking his golden ret. and his little girl wanted to see my dog he was sweet with her. but then he brang his dog up to mine. mine started to growl. he kept saying "hes a mean little guy isnt he" then he was like to his dog "its ok jasper it ok". i kept trying to explain tto him politely he was just a puppy but he kept saying he was mean. well then i felt like saying " if you think he's so mean why r u keeping your dog around him.
i hope he gets over this growling business soon. i am taaking him to a dog park this week end hopefully that will help
Old 06-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

yeah, there are some people that are...stupid... You obviously didn't like him calling your dog mean. He was ignorant, you have to ignore those people.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

i hope some1 replies im worried this is abnormal and hell be mean to tother dogs forever
Old 06-02-2005, 07:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i don't think he will be mean forever..socializing a dog takes a bit of time..and a little dog has good reason when someone a hundred times their size comes up.to you squat down beside your pup so he knows it isn't him with you all the way up there? They need reassurance that they are safe..that is the only thing i can think of.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA
i hope some1 replies im worried this is abnormal and hell be mean to tother dogs forever
I don't think this is abnormal. You said u have a chihuahua right? Well, read this:

"Be sure to socialize your Chihuahua as a pup to avoid excessive aggressiveness with other dogs as well as reserve with strangers. They tend to be fairly dog-aggressive. Chihuahuas generally recognize their own breed, but sometimes disapprove of other breeds." - Dogbreedinfo.com

hope this helps
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

oh no hes not a chihuahua hea a small mix but right now hes as big as a chihuahua
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

thanx for the help guys, im just gonna be pesistent and make him keep meeting dogs, im just sensitive and hope not every1 offended if hes growly at first , he backs right up so that should show ppl he's just a little freaked out.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

they just did a spot on entertainment tonight with a small dog that was very aggressive towards big dogs.the dog whisperer helped them out by using repitition of a large dog going back and forth..CT can probably help you the most with this..you should post under dog training and see what she thinks you should do

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Gracie is 12 wks today. She met her first 'other' dogs monday. She freaked out! A 8 pr 9 month old St.Bernard which on all 4s comes to my waist. It is scarey to the little ones. Do you have any friends with a dog you could introduce him to? Maybe you could let them play together in between going to the dog park.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA
oh no hes not a chihuahua hea a small mix but right now hes as big as a chihuahua
oh, I over read the part where you said "I brought my chihuahua SIZED dog". What type of dog is it (I am just asking that because I am curious) You should keep on having him socialize with dogs. But try make him feel secure, he's probably just scared to see dogs bigger than him. I suggest squatting next to him, so he knows that your right there. Maybe even talk softly to him, to calm him down.