Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
...I would NEVER breed an aggressive or poor tempered b_itch OR a poor tempered male...
I believe that if you do that you can still get a sweet natured dog, sure it might be harder, but it's still possible.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce
I understand why someone would say they want to breed the pit down. That is because for the last fifty years or so they have been breeding them bigger and biggre and many have been going for meaner dogs too. I did a speech on breed bans and doing the research I couldn't believie how much pits have changed in that short of a time. I would love to see some that looked how they did before horrible breeders got ahold of them. But I doubt there is enough of a want for them to have anyone do it since there are already so many that need adopted. but i think its dumb to say you want to take the herding out of the herder.
Well, if you were breeding the Pit to be what it was 50yrs ago, that wouldn't be "changing" the dog. That would be fixing what the irrisponsible breeders have done. Pits are supposed to be around 60-80lbs I do believe, but many are 100+lbs. I think what she ment with "breeding the Pits down" was totally taking the dog aggresivness out of them. A Pit's charactor is to be dog aggresive, just like it is a Border Collie's character to herd. If you take that away, you take away part of the breed, IMO.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
. . . Some dogs have genetically programmed temperments and that is part of what make certain breeds the way they are.
So right! Some of us are fighting tooth and nail to save our Filas' temperaments. Many of the show breeders in Brazil (and other places) are breeding the temperament and ojeriza down, if not completely out to make a docile pet dog - ruining the unique temperament and destroying the working instinct that makes these dogs perfect for doing what they do.

If someone wants a docile, agreeable, malleable Mastiff they should get an Olde English or even a Bull Mastiff and leave the Filas to fill the niche they have been bred for centuries to fill.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Big Dog

I agreed that temperament and nerve stability can be genetic. Some of it has to do with how a dog is raised, I guess you could look at it as a "nature loads the gun and nurture pulls the trigger". If personality had no genetic component, you wouldn't see the distinctive behaviors and characteristics that are so obviously different from breed to breed.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDFan05
"nature loads the gun and nurture pulls the trigger"
You put that perfectly!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Playful Husky Pup

Owning three Pitbulls I personally would'nt want them any other way. And a good point to make not ALL pitbulls have problems with other dogs. My pitbulls socialize with my Sibes and Chins everyday including Jamies dogs and I have yet to have a problem. All three of my dogs are spayed or neutered and have gone through seriouse training. I truly beleive it all goes to training not breeding i personally think people who want to breed to calm down a dog really doesent want a DOG in the first place. They don't want to put the training into it. Kinda like delawing cats.

Siberian Huskies have ultimately been ruined by the akc. Sibes bred just for showing don't have the ability and are in no way as fast or athletic as working Sibes (What I breed, own, and race). Siberians have really seen dark days in the breed and even darker im sure are to come. But what can I do about it?

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie