Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Are you dead yet?

Default The "Dumbing down" of certain breeds..

What do you all think of "modifying" certain breeds to suit the general public?

For the past few days I have been talking to people who believe that dogs such as Pit Bull Terriers should be "bred down". This means, breeding out the breed's natural inclination to challenge another dog, as well as its strong prey drive and fight drive. This, they say, will help the breed be more widely accepted by society.
The same is said with Border Collies. "Oh, they are far too energetic to be apartment dogs, so let's breed them to be more mellow!" Is a BC that falls asleep in the field and lets the sheep get away -really- a Border Collie?

The people say "Oh, but then there will not be problems with BSL!"
That may be true, but why have different breeds if you ultimately try to turn them all into Golden Retrievers?

I want some opinions on this... Do you agree with the "breeding down" of breeds such as Pit Bulls, just so they are accepted by society?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Felurian

You really don't want to get me started on this, do you?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Big Dog

Ack, what has happened to American showline German shepherds is a tragedy....not to mention the other working and herding breeds that have had the brains bred out of them for the show ring...like Renee said, don't get me started, I could rant forever...
Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Are you dead yet?

Renee- Ohh yes, I do.

I post this, because some of these people who claim to love the breed so much, are willing to take away its very essence order to prevent it from being banned or scorned by society. I don't understand this mindset, and I was hoping for some insight from people who think this way as to -why- one would want to do such a thing.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

I am interested to see if anyone really would want to do that. I can't imagine why one would take the characteristics out of a breed just so they can make it an "apartment" dog. To me that is rather self centered and the kind of person who shouldn't own a dog in the first place. If they don't like this or that about a dog, then they should RESEARCH AND FIND ANOTHER BREED THAT BETTER SUITS THEM instead of suggesting ignorant ideas that have little thought behind them. Well, or at least, little intellect behind them.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on a tangent here.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

I personally think there is nothing wrong with breeding to make pitbulls "nicer" (which the whole thing is just bull). I have no problem with it, but I still want some pure bred Pitbulls for a gaurd dog later in my life.

I think this will make dogs more popular.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

for people who want to breed down a border collie for apartment puposes i say this_ if u live in a apartment geta maltesenot a energetic border collie
Old 06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie1234
I personally think there is nothing wrong with breeding to make pitbulls "nicer" (which the whole thing is just bull). I have no problem with it, but I still want some pure bred Pitbulls for a gaurd dog later in my life.

I think this will make dogs more popular.
Richie -- you're contradicting yourself, here. There's nothing wrong with breeding pits to be "nicer" but the whole thing is bull? But you want pure bred pits for guarding later in life? The trouble is, there are bad breeders of every breed of dog. And there are good breeders of every breed of dog. Pits are very nice dogs -- if bred, socialized, and raised CORRECTLY. It's the scumbags of the world that do bad breeding for meanness, fighting, they're awful to their dogs, etc. etc. that has given the breed a bad name. So, in a way, this is already happening. Breeding "nicer" pits and the nasty @sses that breed the "meaner" pits (and then it's the breeder's/owner's fault, not the dog's).
Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

the whole thing i think is dumb dont you ellinhunter, leave them alone, its selfish to change a dog so you can stick a big dog in a place he'll never be happy....apartment...besides what happens to the dogs , that their breeding down, it may not be yet as xcalm or nice so when they keep breeding them what happens to the other dogs
that may sound confusing i mean: say you wanted a "nice" pitbull, you bred two togther, that had nice temperments to make a nice dog but not nice enough. once youve bred it with another "nice" pit bull and now you have that puppy what are you doing with the other 4 dogs, that werent nicce enough for you...this is how dogs end up with shelters....it sounds the exact same as someone breeding two maltese's together to make babies to sell. once they are about 8 and cant breed any more they get put in a shelter...its just dumb. your screwing with dogs personalitys, if you want a border collie to be calm, just get a calm dog
Old 06-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA
if you want a border collie to be calm, just get a calm dog
Perfectly stated, LEA. We need to QUIT MESSING WITH OUR BREEDS! If you want a tiny little border collie that needs no work, doesn't shed, and is perfectly happy being a couch potatoe, FIND ANOTHER BREED!