Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
for_dogs_sake's Avatar
for_dogs_sake for_dogs_sake is offline
Hannibal and Ralphies Mom
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport, Gwent, UK
Posts: 17

Hi Julieandchilli,

I have a list, if you PM me with your email address or email me at [email protected] i will email it across to you. I love my dogs and have gone through a lot of lengthy research to compile this list for my own reference but am more than happy to share it with others if it helps.

As well as toxic foods it also has other toxic substances and plants as well as signs of poisoning.

A lot of stuff even i was amazed at even though both my boys have eaten some before. Just because they didn't get sick doesn't mean that they wont in the long run, so now i avoid everything on my 'bad food bible' LOL

Megan, Hannibal & Ralphie
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
LareP LareP is offline
Spoiled Mutt
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 7
Default Alarmist Beware - Raisins & Grapes Are Not Dangerous For All Dogs!

Raisins & Grapes are dangerous for only a small percentage of dogs,
just like peanuts are dangerous to a small number of people.

Not only that, but it takes a LARGE dose of raisins or grapes to
make even a sensitive dog ill or very sick.

If you have given your dog raisins or grapes in the past as small
treats, not to worry. If it had no effect, your dog is immune to
small amounts and quite probably even to larger amounts.

I've given my dogs raisins and grapes as rewards for years, as do
my 6 boys and their large numbers of dogs, and I mean dozens and
dozens of dogs, and not one of them ever became ill.

There is still no proof that a few raisins or grapes will harm
your pooch, however, to be safe, and to offer safe advice, here
is an excerpt from studies I've encountered;

"Veterinary toxicologists at the Animal Poison Control Center
are currently investigating cases where dogs have developed
kidney failure after ingestion of large quantities of grapes and
raisins. The veterinary toxicologists are attempting to determine
the causative agents or disease processes. Pet owners, whose
dogs have ingested large quantities of grapes or raisins, or
veterinarians managing such cases, are encouraged to call the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center"

Again, keep in mind that all dogs, just like all people, are not susceptible
to this issue.

The large quantities mentioned are from nine ounces to two pounds!
Hardly a snack or small reward you might give to your dog.

So, if you've given your pooch this wonderful and healthy treat
in the past with no side effects why would you stop just because
a few dogs have developed sensitive issues with this healthy food?

Have you stopped eating peanut butter because your neighbors son
is allergic to peanuts?

Far too often people get caught up in the hysterics of old and current
unfounded news issues and rumors.

Don't let this happen to you, or your dog.
Keep Your Dog Healthy For Life!
Dog Health Information
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 AM
little liz little liz is offline
little liz
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
Posts: 219
Default Yikes!

This is scary stuff! I have given Minnie a grape here and there. Fortunately she doesn't like them LOL. She will play with one for ages like a kitten with a ball of wool and pop it in and out of her mouth but I think she has only ever squished one all over the floor...she has never ventured to eat any. Perhaps I shouldn't give them to her and tempt fate that she gets to like them though

For pet portraits get in touch here
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:07 AM
nica's Avatar
nica nica is offline
Happy dogs expert
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 44

Thought might as share what I just wrote in my blog about forbidden food for your pet. I have consolidated this for pass few years of my readings and research. Healthy stuff for human may be toxic to our dogs!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Shadow945 Shadow945 is offline
Big Dog
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 130

I had never heard about the concerns over grapes and raisins, but it's nice to hear.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 PM
jv17 jv17 is offline
Big Dog
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 115

that's nice i really like your recipe though..
Dog Photos| Pet Forum
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 PM
weivenus2012 weivenus2012 is offline
Active Pup
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10

Thanks for sharing and let us know more about new releases.

That is a good idea. It does seem to help SEO of the site and should let you get more traffic.

I should go play in traffic. At rush hour.

Last edited by Renee750il; 09-16-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Paul Bright Paul Bright is offline
Big Dog
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 122

Thanks for this very useful post!

Just to help some more... here are other food items you have to be careful with when you have a dog:

What You Should Never Feed Your Dog ? Part 1 | Golden Retriever Training

What You Should Never Feed Your Dog ? Part 2 | Golden Retriever Training

What You Should Never Feed Your Dog ? Part 3 | Golden Retriever Training

Your Dogs and CHOCOLATES | Golden Retriever Training

Hope these help!!!
You're About To Discover Secrets About Clicker Training Almost No One Knows About Click Here
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036

Ok, so I never saw this until just now, but I did know grapes/raisins were bad for dogs.

But 122 BUN?!?! And I thought the 32ish at the beginning was high!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Trent Trent is offline
Active Pup
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2

Thanks for the information!

I have never given any of my dogs raisins or grapes.

I wish there was a way we could educate dog owners on the topic of what foods are dangerous for dogs to eat.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site