Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Ear Hematoma

Hi, our Golden Retriever Jake was to the vet on Friday because he has what they call an ear hematoma. A blood vessel burst in his ear and caused a lump of blood fluid to fill inside the ear. They said it is usually caused by an ear infection and the dog keeps shaking their head and scratching their ear and it breaks the blood vessel. However, they checked his ears and he had no ear infection. We do however, have a beagle, Noodles, that Jake plays with alot and they do alot of wrestling. We think Noodles may have pawed his ear to hard when playing. Anyway......... The vet said the only way they can fix it is surgery. They will drain the fluid and put little tiny sutures in all over the ear to make scar tissue and stop the bleeding. They said if they just drained it, then it would just fill up again. Has anyone ever gone through this? I'm nervous because Jake is almost 12 years old and has never been under anesthesia........

"I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness in Heaven. If it takes my dogs being there, I believe they'll be there."
Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Squishy face

My grandmother's friends in FL have an older dog who had a hematoma on her toe which kept bleeding. She underwent surgery for it and came out fine. I'm sure your dog will be ok.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Puppy Dog

Having the op will have the best cosmetic outcome. If you leave it, it will act like normal scar tissue - the blood will eventually clot and then start forming a scab by contracting. This leads to a shrivelled up ear. Potential side effects include infection of the mass of blood leading to abcess formation (in which case it will need to be drained anyway) and possibly long term ear canal problems and head shaking (the ear remains heavier and irritates the dog)

Hope that helps

Ledoc
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Yes, Buddy just had that done a few short weeks ago.

He was fine afterwards. He had the cone and everything and it didn't stop him or slow him down one bit.

The thing with the hematoma is that it can grow to be really really big and then it can be dangerous. Better to get it taken care of right away.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Puppy Dog

Well, we had the surgery. Jake is doing good. He doesn't really care for the E-Collar, but everytime we try to give him a break from it, he starts trying to rub his ear on the ground. Therefore, he will be stuck with the collar until it heals. He looks so sad with it on.

His ear looked awful after the surgery, but we clean it out twice a day and he's coming along...

"I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness in Heaven. If it takes my dogs being there, I believe they'll be there."
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Love my pets

My CJ had the same surgery and it went very well. She never had another problem with the ear.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Big Dog

I'm glad he made it through fine. I wish I had seen this earlier. My Summer had this done a few years ago when she was about 10. She did fine through the procedure and healed nicely. Her ear still droops since the procedure but I think it adds character. You can feel a difference in the hardness of the ear also I think from scar tissue.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Glad you took care of it ! I've been through that twice . With my golden they just drained and sutured .... and there was a hard lump . With my grand Lab Yogi ..they drained and then stitched a plastic patch over it . Ear went back to normal .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Puppy Dog

Well, the ear is doing good. It's healing nicely with no redness. However, Jake is being a handful. He's normally an outside dog who only likes to come in when it's cold, or too hot. He's been cooped up in our house since Tuesday because they don't want him outside unless its to go to the bathroom and he's going nuts!!! He already broke one e-collar because he wants out and when you don't let him out he lays on his bed and just rolls his head around making a low "grumping" sound. He won't stop... My husband called me at work yesterday and said he broke his collar so we had to go back to the vets to get another one. He's doing the same with the new one...

At least today he goes to the vet to get the bandages removed, then we'll have to go back next week to have the sutures removed. Hopefully, they'll let him remove the e-collar and go outside a bit or he's going to go mental

Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Poor baby !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/