Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcvulcan
Interesting comments and as i research the Airedale i am beginning to feel I need a dog a little less head strong, a dog able to be trusted in the yard without a fence and although active not always into something. My terrier cross was very smart and sometimes fresh .She was able to hang out in a relaxed mode as well as be very active and playful. A perfect mix for me!

I think your comments have confirmed my intuition about this breed.I love terriers and most of the pure breed ones are smaller and i would like a 50-65 lb dog. Perhaps i can find a terrier cross that is mixed with a larger breed. Never know who the parents are with those mutts!

Thank you so much.
Terrier mixes can be wonderful. I had a terrier/husky (best guess) mix who was about 45lbs. She has the coat and tail of a husky, the head and soul of a terrier. 100% yardsafe (would regularly 'escape' and walk around to the front door to wait for her disappearance to be noted) Beautiful dog, smart and incredibly reliable once she agreed to something. It was reaching that agreement that could take some time. My current sheepdog will absolutely agree to everything you ask/tell, then immediately renege. I thought the husky took some of the combative edge from the terrier - she didn't leap to conclusions as fast as the terriers I know - and the terrier added some faithfulness to the husky. I felt the husky added some aloofness, too, though, which was tough on an owner used to the exuberant love of a collie. Once she accepted me, though, we had an extremely good relationship.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

I haven't been around a lot of Airedales but I had a nieghbor who had two and they barked A LOT and were very dog aggressive. However most of this was poor socialization and not enough exercise...IMHO.

If you like Terriers, especially large ones, check out the American Staffordshire Terriers. They don't bark much and are mellower than Airedales. They are wonderful pets I highly recomend Amstaffs.

I am really sorry about your little wheaton, it is a really tough time for you I know.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
If you like Terriers, especially large ones, check out the American Staffordshire Terriers. They don't bark much and are mellower than Airedales. They are wonderful pets I highly recomend Amstaffs.
Just a question, I'm not impugning the nobility of pit bulls and their kin - would they be what the OP is looking for? I mean, AmStaffs, while in the terrier group, have more of that bulldog thing going. You don't see (thank God) too many AmStaffs with that high-alert terrier attitude. (hence your comment about them being more mellow.)
Old 06-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Active Pup

Oh i should clarify, oops, before we discuss for me options of the short haired terrier breeds, I love shaggy faced scruffy bearded terriers, very addicted. My Scoop is so black that pictures never do him any justice, thus have not posted one yet, but he is a scruffy faced terrier cross and of course my wheaton mix was scruffy too.

In fact i seem to be a bit allergic to the very short haired dogs, could be the dander ,sort of that shine oil on their coat, but i tend to do better with hairier dogs?!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1
Just a question, I'm not impugning the nobility of pit bulls and their kin - would they be what the OP is looking for? I mean, AmStaffs, while in the terrier group, have more of that bulldog thing going. You don't see (thank God) too many AmStaffs with that high-alert terrier attitude. (hence your comment about them being more mellow.)
Personality wise I didn't see anything in the OP that would exclude Amstaffs but in the latest post I do see some requirements that the Amstaff can't meet...They don't grow beards...lol and they do have very short hair.

Oh well, personality wise they would work

How about a Kerry Terrier? Not as big but they are a mid to large terrier and are somewhat easier to handle than an Airedale.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Show Dog

i saw a few Airdales at my uncle's friend's place, Iloved them. Beautiful and large dogs. Buit their owner seems to have mixed emotions. She said they were very stubborn and troublesome. They had a huge yard and there were alot of holes dug...
Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 AM
Trained by an Airedale

I've been slow to pick up this post, more guests visiting.......

I'm basing this on Misha and all I've learnt from the Airedale group I'm a member of. I'd say protective not aggressive....but I can see why people would think that - they do want to interactive with every dog they see and just throw themselves at other dogs..Misha thinks every dog, cat and ant should be ready to play.

...they like to show their teeth a lot which scares some people - they snap them together when impatient, bored or just for their own private amusement. But I've never heard of one biting intentionally or being aggressive and I've seen a few people asking that, but I guess a bad owner could fix that .

They are pretty aloof with people they don't know, (irrates some people), but very loyal and loving to their owners. I've had many clashes of wills with Misha, as some of my posts show. But I'm as stubborn as her and it is starting to pay off - but you definitely need to match their strong character - or they will walk all over you (quite literally).

I've read some bark a lot, but equally many don't - so I think that is up to individual dog. Misha just barks at the door bell - and scares herself - but it is a good warning to strangers.

They are big diggers & apparently chewers - although Misha won't chew anything that hasn't been given to her - we are very lucky.

She has been very easy to train in that she learns quickly, but can be stubborn as anything. She is highly food motivated and too smart to admit that praise will do! This very short article sums it up -http://www.airedaleterriers.org/articles/sit.html

Have to finish this Aire essay by admitting that I doubt I will be without an Airedale from now on - I am a complete Airehead!