Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Active Pup

Default Airedale, opinions

My wheaton mix just recently had to be put to sleep. I am not ready yet for another dog, I still have another young terrier mix at home. However i am intersted in getting another Terrier type mix or purebreed as a rescue pet and am leaning towards the larger terrier breeds such as an Airedale. I know they need stimulation exercise and like my Weaton Cross are smart and sassy and need an alpha or else I will be their pet! Has anyone had one and have any opinions?

Ask any questions about my lifestyle and what i can offer to the dog and i will reply if that can help you make recommendations to me. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Sorry about your Wheaty !! I've only known 2 airedales...same family. Very aggressive , and a handful. Could have been the family. Hope you'll get better info here.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Felurian

I am so sorry about your Wheaten. It's so terribly difficult to let go of them. How is your other Terrier dealing with the loss? They grieve too.

You sound like you've got a good handle on the Terrier brain. One of our neighbors in Wilmington had an Airedale, Jeff, and we loved him. It was a quiet neighborhood so they'd let Jeff out to play for a bit after school hours because he loved to play games with the kids. He didn't let adults touch him unless he knew them very well, but he was a gentle clown with the little kids. Actually, we all kind of treated Jeff like one of the kids, lol!

Airedales, like any Terrier, need plenty of exercise - physical and mental, and LOTS of socialization with people and other dogs.

Martine should be able to give you good first hand advice. Her Airedale, Misha is (if I'm remembering right) a rescue.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Active Pup

Thank you for your condolences. Rudy had mast cell cancer that we thought we had beat but it had sadly spread. She was 10 and i had gotten her at a local pound at 4 months. It has been very difficult without her as I love her so very much. Scoop, my young guy, actually was very overshadowed by Rudy's clever dominance so he is now getting used to the fact that he has free run of the house and complete access to me. He is coming into his own!

I have by habit always provided the dogs with lots of exercise, off leash running in the woods and lots of socialization. I think this would be good for an Airedale type. Since i am a female and in the woods alone it would also be good to be with a more protective sizeable dog as i think the Airedale may be.

all of your input is very helpful.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 PM
BusterLove

Sorry about your wheaton...
Martine would be a good person to contact about Aerdales (sp?)

Old 06-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Felurian

Since you are alone and are willing to work with a dog and socialize it well, you might even want to consider a more formidable dog. The world has turned into a much less friendly place than it was even just ten or fifteen years ago - especially for a woman.

As quiet as this place is, there has been more than one occasion when I've been glad I took at least one of the dogs with me when I went somewhere alone at night!

I will say that one of the more outstanding and protective dogs I've ever seen was Thor, who belonged to a biker friend of mine. He was supposed to be a purebred Doberman, but as he matured, his head was a bit too blocky, and then his adult coat started coming in . . . curly. Thor was a Dober-Dale! He was a great dog. I loved him. The only people he paid any attention to were Dave, his owner, and me. Dave's girlfriend used to get so frustrated with Thor.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Puppy Dog

My grandfather bred and raised Airedales. From what I remember about them, they were very protective, very aggressive, and very mule headed. I remember he had to put more than a few down because they "turned cross" as he used to say, which I guess, was his way of saying they became overly aggressive and mean. They were very loyal dogs from what I can remember, and he kept 2 of them loose on the farm as protection, but they don't like chickens and cats. I guess that depends on if they are raised to respect them or not, but I know we went thru quite a few chickens and barn cats when he had them loose lol.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, and I hope that whatever breed you choose (or rather, chooses you ~ ), you enjoy as much as your last one.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Big Dog

Airedales can be good dogs, but they definitely need a 'serious' owner. Consider that you're taking all that terrier personality, drive, and hard-headedness and putting it into a pretty good-sized dog, a small terrier is a handful, and Airedales require a lot of work. They CAN be good dogs, just keep in mind what comes as part of the package.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Active Pup

Interesting comments and as i research the Airedale i am beginning to feel I need a dog a little less head strong, a dog able to be trusted in the yard without a fence and although active not always into something. My terrier cross was very smart and sometimes fresh .She was able to hang out in a relaxed mode as well as be very active and playful. A perfect mix for me!

I think your comments have confirmed my intuition about this breed.I love terriers and most of the pure breed ones are smaller and i would like a 50-65 lb dog. Perhaps i can find a terrier cross that is mixed with a larger breed. Never know who the parents are with those mutts!

Thank you so much.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Felurian

Oddly enough, a rescued adult German Shepherd can make a wonderful addition to a Terrier household. We added a Shepherd to the family when Mickey - my Terrier - was about seven or so. Purdue came as a gift from my Nanny as a three month old pup, which put him at a slight disadvantage. He was three years old before he realized he didn't have to jump every time Mickey told him to, lol! They made a good pair though. His German Shepherd level-headedness countered her Terrier temper well and they were quite the pair.

My sister's husband has a Jack Russell and she rescued an adult female German Shepherd when Braec was about two and a half. Braec had had some issues with a couple of her step-kids (understandable, considering some of the idiotic things the kids did and bearing in mind that their mother had abused him as a pup), but Obie, the German Shepherd, keeps Braec in line and won't let him be alone with the kids. It irritated Braec a bit at first, but now he adores Obie and seems to appreciate the fact that Obie's interference keeps him from being aggravated.

It's really something I'd encourage you to consider. Terriers and German Shepherds can really complement each other quite well, and most GSDs are easily boundary trained.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian