Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

Default Greater Swiss Mountain Dog

I met a Swissy for the first time when I was in Cape Code on the beach and I absolutely LOVED him. I was wondering if any of you knew anything about them and their personality.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

I've always admired them , but never have really met one .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

I've met quite a few (well, considering how rare the breed is), and at one point did some serious looking-into them.

Every one I've met has had some pretty serious health issues. Seizures, allergies, joint problems. One I used to know was euthanized at 5 for seizures and arthritis. Probably none of this was helped by the fact that only one I know is a decent weight; the rest are very heavy.

The temperment wasn't quite what I had hoped; they remind me a bit like retrievers in the house, always very close and frequently panting . I had hoped they would be more athletic as a working breed, but the ones I've known would have never handled the moderate hiking I do. Again, some probably because of their weight, but even so, they are pretty ponderous.

We have one very bad Bernese breeder near us who also breeds some Swissies, so half the ones I've met are poorly bred, I'm sure. I've also known two Swiss imports and two from other breeders. In general, they just weren't what I had hoped from my research.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Big Dog

I've researched and read up on Swissy's for years now. And I've very much considered getting one for my next dog. They are very much like Rottweilers, down to structure (only Swissy's are quite a bit bigger than Rottweilers), and temperment. Although Swissy's aren't known to be as dog aggressive as Rottweilers.

The problem is, there aren't that many GOOD Swissy breeders around, I myself don't have any near me, which is why there are other breeds I'd likely own for my next dog. Because I would prefer the breeder be close by.

Seach for GSMD breed clubs if you want to know more about them. Easy enough to find, just type it into your browser.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

I currently own a 15 month old male Bernese Mountain Dog, but did own a male Swissy prior. There are a lot of similarities between the two, as far as markings, love of pulling and drafting, great with kids and other animals. The main difference I see (besides the coat) is that my Swissy was a bit more wary and standoffish towards strangers. By BMD will bark, but once the newcomer is in the door, he will jump and give slobbery kisses. My Swissy usually stayed back, always keeping a watchful eye. Finally, my Swissy actually shed a great deal more than my BMD despite my daily brushings. The Swissy is a bit more hardy healthwise than the BMD, but a reputable breeder is an absolute must in both breeds. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Puppy Dog

i just met my first one as well. she is boarding at the kennel at work at. she is totally standoffish when she first comes in. she doesnt come when you call her. she doesnt play with the other dogs. after about 2 days of being there she came out of her shell a little bit. in the morning shed be really peppy and come up and lick you and jump and somewhat play, but the rest of the day she finds nice shady spots to lay in and just chills. she is very independent, but once she knew me, she would come to me when i called and would actually show emotion when i would pet her. i dont know if this is what they are typically like, but she is basically a very low energy dog, with very little patience. she isnt overwieght, as close to perfect as you can get, so im pretty sure they spent a bundle. ive met quite a few berners and they were all very different from the gsmd