Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-17-2004, 06:49 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Question Heart Murmur

We just found out yesterday that Harley has a heart murmur. (She went to the vet because she has been coughing real bad. We found out that she has Kennel Cough.) The vet said it wouldn't affect her until she was about 3 or 4 years old. Does anyone know how heart murmurs affect dogs. My sister and I are both pretty worried about her, and we don't know much on the subject. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Felurian

Ti, I'm so, so, so sorry to hear that. You can be sure your Harley girl will be in my thoughts.

"Heart murmur" is a broad term. A heart murmur can be just a very slight flaw in the valve that allows some leakage back into the connecting chamber in the heart, or it can be more serious. Talk to your vet at length and find out how serious it is. You may need - or want - to have some tests run so you can determine how best to keep Harley at optimum health. Keeping her nutrition tops is going to be so important for her long term health, but I don't know that I'd depend on a vet for advice in that area. The vast majority don't have much knowledge about animal nutrition other than to recommend Science Diet or Eukanuba . . . and you know all about those from the discussions here!

Keep us posted on Harley's condition. We're with you!