Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Wink Need some help here, too!

Soo... I'm working on a project and need some help.

What I would need is:

# of dogs
age of dogs
list and $ of any activities (agility, showing, etc) dogs are involved in/monthly
amount spent on food/monthly
amount spent on toys/monthly
amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly
amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations.

If you buy your supplies in bulk, you can give that info as well, but please let me know how long your "bulk" lasts for.

I would like someone with one, two dogs, three dogs, and then four or more dogs. I would also like to know size of breeds, small, medium, large, giant, etc.. as that will definitely play a factor in food amounts, etc.

You can PM it to me or include it here. No names necessary (i.e. dog #1)and a rough estimate is okay, as long as it's somewhat accurate and not something like "give or take $100".

TIA!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I run with scissors

# of dogs One - large breed (GSD)

age of dogs - 15 months

list and $ of any activities (agility, showing, etc) dogs are involved in/monthly - None, unless you count obedience classes, which lasted 2 months (one class per week) and cost $100

amount spent on food/monthly - $43.00 for food plus about $10 for treats

amount spent on toys/monthly - $10- $15

amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly -
K9 Advantix $16.25
Interceptor $7.50
Allergy Meds $14.00
Doggie Day care 4-5 times a month $40-$50
Vet bills - not every month, but about every 3 months due to allergies and other health issues $50-$100

amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations - Took one vacation this year. Cost of boarding was $120.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

# of dogs - one, medium
age of dogs - about 2.5 years
list and $ of any activities (agility, showing, etc) dogs are involved in/monthly - Probably $220/averaged (more when competing/less in a month without trials).
amount spent on food/monthly - $35
amount spent on toys/monthly - $15 or so
amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly - $50 - 75 averaged (heartworm, titers, physicals)
amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations. - I don't really vacation. I get free boarding if I'm away with a friend's in-home boarding, but I believe it actually costs $30/day.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Rebel With Cause

# of dogs -----4 (2) medium (2) toys

age of dogs ----- 11 years...9 years...4 years....5 years

list and $ of any activities (agility, showing, etc) dogs are involved in/monthly that has to depend on the month nothing committed but can be $ 200.00

amount spent on food/monthly $ 150.00 or more

amount spent on toys/monthly average of $ 50.00

amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly $ 100.00 or more

amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations. Do I include the cost of the motor home here ? That was one of the main contributing factors as to why we got it so they could always go with us

Breeds and sizes are ( 2 ) ACDs in the 50 to 65 pound range
(2) Shih-tzus in the 14 lb range

Vet bills are Insurance $ 243.00 per month
Heart meds $ 75.00 per month.
uncovered things are around $ 4000.00 per year ( co-pays and uncovered medical treatments.

And they think they are not spoiled
Added note here **** Hubby said he would like to get about 6 more ACDs !!! I about needed a doctor at that point
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

# of dogs : 2 (60 and 85lb)
age of dogs : 2 and 2 1/2
list and $ of any activities : none anymore
amount spent on food/monthly : $90
amount spent on toys/monthly : none, they destroy them
amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly : $30 plus $180 once a year
amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations. : Well, we haven't been on vacations since we got them so can't really say, but it would be about $55 a day on boarding alone.

Edit: how in the world do you guys spend so much on necessities? Hearguard is $50 a box for 6 months...
Old 08-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I run with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
Edit: how in the world do you guys spend so much on necessities? Hearguard is $50 a box for 6 months...
Heartgard is only for heartworms. It does not protect against fleas, ticks, roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, etc. I think Heartgard Plus might protect against roundworm and hookworm (not sure on exactly the difference) but still no fleas and ticks.

I end up spending so much because Charlie was a puppymill dog and he generally has a low immune system and tends to catch ANYTHING so I therefore try to protect him against everything.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Active Pup

# of dogs: 1
age of dogs: Estimated at 10
list and $ of any activities (agility, showing, etc) dogs are involved in/monthly: nope
amount spent on food/monthly: 20
amount spent on toys/monthly: 1 (My guy doesn't really dig toys.)
amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly: 5

amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations:

My most recent vacations and trip-related costs:
Vacation #1: $100 (Plane Fare)
Vacation #2: $0 (Free to stay in hotel)
Vacation #3: $50 (Dinner and gift for friend who took care of him)
Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmommy View Post
Heartgard is only for heartworms. It does not protect against fleas, ticks, roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, etc. I think Heartgard Plus might protect against roundworm and hookworm (not sure on exactly the difference) but still no fleas and ticks.

I end up spending so much because Charlie was a puppymill dog and he generally has a low immune system and tends to catch ANYTHING so I therefore try to protect him against everything.
Yeah I use heartguard plus.

I haven't used the tick/flea preventives for a while. There's no fleas here, they are vaccinated for lime disease, and I've heard too many bad things about advantix and the like.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Default re:

# of dogs: 2
age of dogs: 18mo, 15mo
list and $ of any activities: Agility for Wrigley $45
amount spent on food/monthly: $55
amount spent on toys/monthly: $10
amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly: $30
amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations: none--generally stay with friends or in-laws
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM
A guy with a dog

# of dogs: 1 - 5 pounds, chihuahua/shih tzu mix
age of dogs: 3 months
list and $ of any activities (agility, showing, etc) dogs are involved in/monthly: Just obedience classes, starting soon, $70 for 6 weeks
amount spent on food/monthly: About $8 (he's tiny, so doesn't eat much)
amount spent on toys/monthly: $10 or so
amount spent on necessities (other than food)/monthly: So far, just $30 a month for the vet (regular puppy shots), but he only has one more round of that.
amount spent on vacations if you take your dog with and how much it cots to have the dogs go with, OR, amount spent on boarding/not monthly, unless you take a lot of vacations.: We aren't taking him on vacation with us (a friend is taking him in their house, which will cost us a pair of movie tickets, a gift certificate for a restaurant, and free babysitting for them when we get back from vacation), but I checked at our hotel, and it would be $25 a night to have him with us there.