Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I run with scissors

Default Question about Bloat

I know it is not good to exercise a dog right after eating, but what about drinking? Can a dog get bloat from drinking a ton of water and then running around? When I play frisbee with Charlie he gets hot and tired and will go and drink and drink and drink and then he's right back to wanting more frisbee. It worries me.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Are you dead yet?

I worry about that too. I wait for them to burp before they go back to running. The air trapped in their stomach concerns me a bit more than the water does.

All of my dogs are water guzzlers when they run and I've never had a problem, but it's something I'm curious about too.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Felurian

There is a great deal of GOOD info on bloat at www.greatdanelady.com.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM
*Biter*

Yes, gulping water can cause increased air intake, putting the dog at risk for bloating. The act of gulping (whether it be air, food, water, etc) is all the same.

After Hannah bloated, I wrote a very long article called "When It's Bloat" describing her ordeal, listing symptoms, risk factors and first aid for bloat. It's stickied in the Health Section.

This is something I've grown to know WAY more about than I ever wanted to. Owning the #1 breed for bloating for over 12 years has led to TONS of reading and researching.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt